Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Yeah, so I’m looking for the best alternative for an Apple Pencil 2 since money is tight. I saw the Logitech Crayon, but I heard it recharges through Lightning and that honestly sounds bad. Is that true? Also, can it magnetically attach to the 2021 iPad Pro? What stylus would you recommend for someone wanting a cheaper alternative to the Apple Pencil 2?

Thanks! ?

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
The Crayon does recharge using lightning. It does not attach magnetically. I use one when I grade papers because I can use it to write on two iPads. When I was using each iPad’s respective pencil, it was awkward swapping pencils and I had the wrong one in hand often. i prefer the pencil but the crayon has a very special place in my workflow.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
For use between different iPads at my workplace I bought this - there are a variety of these from different companies (these pencil do not need to be paired via bluetooth or in any form actually).
They offer a lot for the money, usually they have to be loaded via a cable - I recommend USB C - writing, palm rejection, slant detection works; real pressure sensitivity and double tapping to switch back to the last tool used is missing... but then you can about 5 for the price of one Pencil 2.
An Apple Pencil is heavier, has the mentioned additional functionality, the convenience of wireless charging, well, and it “feels“ higher quality… if you compare them side by side. But then again these do not appear actually cheap.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Yeah, so I’m looking for the best alternative for an Apple Pencil 2 since money is tight. I saw the Logitech Crayon, but I heard it recharges through Lightning and that honestly sounds bad. Is that true? Also, can it magnetically attach to the 2021 iPad Pro? What stylus would you recommend for someone wanting a cheaper alternative to the Apple Pencil 2?

Thanks! ?
I do want to clarify charging via Lightning. Unlike the Apple Pencil 1, which has the male Lightning part that plugs into the Lightning port on an iPad (and which you can charge with a cable if you get an adapter), the Crayon has the female Lighting port so you just plug in a Lightning cable.

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I use the JamJake stylus. Looks and functions exactly like Apple Pencil just for $30 bucks. USB C charging and lack of double tap to change tools is the only difference. Works great, really enjoy using it.

Reactions: bondr006

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
I have these two and like them both a lot. Very comparable to my Apple Pencil 2. Only differences I have found is, no double tap, and no magnetic charging. Otherwise they write and draw just as nice as my Apple Pencil 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.