Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
So I just picked up a 10.5" iPad Pro, which is compatible only with the Apple Pencil 1st Gen. Are there any alternative pencil/stylus options I should consider instead? Pros/cons of each?

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Another question, will the Apple Pencil 2 work at all with this older iPad Pro? I get that some of its newer features might not work, but what about simply being able to use it to write and have palm recognition? Stuff like that?

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Another question, will the Apple Pencil 2 work at all with this older iPad Pro? I get that some of its newer features might not work, but what about simply being able to use it to write and have palm recognition? Stuff like that?
No, the Apple Pencil 2 doesn't work. Even if it did, you wouldn't have a way to charge it. The first one charges using the iPad's Lightning port, the 2nd one uses wireless charging that's built into the iPad.

FWIW, I did get my mom a cheap pencil for Christmas so she could play a puzzle game easier. The one I got isn't available anymore, but it is an "active" stylus that looks just like this one. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it works for her, and even works on her phone. (She mainly just uses it for the game, marking up photos/screenshots, or for sites/forms that require a signature.) If you want the best experience, Apple's pencil would be the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: TitanTiger

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
If you want the best experience, Apple's pencil would be the way to go.
That's the conclusion I'm coming to. Apparently there are several good alternatives out there for the Apple Pencil 2 - from Zagg, Logitech, Adonit, and others. But no one really put much of anything out there to compete with the 1st get one.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
If you need pressure sensitivity (e.g., for drawing where you need different stroke weight that depends on pressure), get the Apple pencil. I’m not familiar with any of the alternatives since I’ve been using iPads that work with Apple Pencil 2 for quite a while and had a pencil 1 for my earlier iPads.

For the Pencil 1, you can get a female-female connector so you can charge it using a lightning cable instead of having to plug it into the iPad.

This isn’t the brand I used but it gives you an idea. There’s a different brand that is two adapters for only a dollar more.

Last edited:
Reactions: sebmar.nl

MacNerd01

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2021
The Psionic Plane
I have the Logitech Crayon, and it works just fine for what it is, but the build quality is certainly not apple-esque- the tip and button have broken or gotten lost on me many a time. It also has a female lightning port instead of male like the regular Apple Pencil, so when I’m away from my charger (which is most of the time) and it dies I have no quick way to recharge it. On the other hand though, it has great battery life and charges really fast- if I’m in a pinch I can charge it for about a minute and it’ll get me ~20 minutes of usage. It’s a good option IMO.

• Love
Reactions: lostPod

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
It also has a female lightning port instead of male like the regular Apple Pencil, so when I’m away from my charger (which is most of the time) and it dies I have no quick way to recharge it.
Personally, I very much prefer the Crayon's female lightning port over Apple Pencil's male counterpart. I can charge my Crayon just like the iPad (or my iPhone) itself, whereas Apple's male to female adapter feels cumbersome to use and easy to lose.

Haven't had a problem with they Crayon's built quality.

Pros:
Price
Future-proof - works with never iPads (USB-C iPads that are compatible with Apple Pencil 2 but not 1)
No Bluetooth pairing necessary

Cons:
Not pressure sensitive
No wireless charging and magnetically attaching to iPads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.