Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Very subjective I guess.
For me, WSL - World Surf League and RedBull TV are the ones that I always go back to because I love surfing and extreme sports along with Vimeo, M2M Fashion and iTunes Movies :) and Netflix/Amazon Prime once a week or so.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
While not new in 2018, I think Infuse and Channels improved a lot in 2018.

Amazon Video on AppleTV launched in 2018, so that's huge. But the app still kind of sucks (screwy nav/ui, 5.1 audio issues), so it might deserve the title of "best."

sargein

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012
WatchNow for me. Use it every single day to consolidate my shows across several apps, track which ones I have watched, and launch app and show directly when I want to watch one of them. This should have been the Apple TV app.

Infuse, YouTube, CBS, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Synology Photos, Adobe Lightroom come next.

aoleg78

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2016
Just a short list of my favorite video players.

MrMc (just mentioning because I used to use it a lot; in its current state it stutters playing back a lot of content; buggy SMB2/SMB3 support; I like its UI and navigation, just need a better, less buggy engine)
VLC (not a fan of its UI concept, works where MrMc stutters, crashes occasionally)
Elmedia Player (just to replace MrMc, does not stutter where MrMc does)
8player
Infuse (safe choice for most, but I'm not a fan of its UI concept, hate the subscription pricing model)

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
My vote goes to Infuse as well. The best app for local content, and the support from Firecore is excellent.

Infuse (safe choice for most, but I'm not a fan of its UI concept, hate the subscription pricing model)
You know that you still have the option of buying Infuse with a perpetual license if you want? Not that I would recommend it, given the low price of the subscription and the frequency of updates ...

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
Another vote for Infuse here, I bought an AppleTV gen 4 just for that app, beats the hell out of using my TVs built in DLNA media player, very happy with the app and the support over on the firecore forums, if anyone has local content on a NAS then Infuse is the app you need, it really is excellent.

Adam.

Reactions: niteflyr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.