Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MihaiS2604

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2021
Long story short. I will be moving to Australia for some time. My current AppStore account is set to Romania, what would be the best way to also use Australian AppStore?

1. Use the same account and change region?
2. New account and sign-out of current AppStore account?

Thank You for taking time to read this.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Change region is currently a mess. There are different tales over the web, but what I found is when you change to a new region you will lost your current purchases. It's true (and this is a fact that get some people confused) that the current installed apps will remain in your iPhone. However if you need to wipe out your device or delete a bad-behavioring app you will need to purchase it again.

Also you need a valid payment method in the destination country.

So, I will play safe and create a new ID for the new country. Sign out from the App Store, search for an Australian only app and try to download it. You will directed to change the App Store country before that. Hit "Get" in the app page and then you can create an Apple ID without needing a credit card.

In the long run, you can get app updates from both ID's without signing in and out from the store.

douscinco

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2021
I also have two accounts. My main account is from Spain and, since I live in Portugal, I also have a Portuguese account for apps related to services in Portugal that for some reason are only available there. The good news is that those are often free, so there’s nothing to lose if they ever become available in the Spanish account and I want to purchase them there too. The reason why I didn’t change the Spanish account to a Portuguese one is that I have Family Sharing enabled with my relatives living in Spain, which implies that every account has to be in the same country.
In my experience, you only have to switch accounts to purchase new apps. From time to time, it’s possible that your device asks you to introduce your password again.
Hope it helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.