Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yazza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Toronto
This is my first post so please bear with me...
We have a small studio with 6 Mac Pros but no back up or server. I am making the recommendation to management. We are not technically strong here as well and are looking for simplicity. A fellow who handles IT for a much larger group uses this configuration:
Mac Pro / Apple Server unlimited
One 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon
2GB (2x1GB)
Mac Pro RAID Card
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB

Also add a
LaCie eSATA PCI Card - For a faster connection to external drives.

3 1.5 TB drive and install them, set them up as follows
Drive 1 - System (the drive the mac came with)
Drive 2 - Partition; 50gb for system backup, the rest for studio work backup
Drive 3 and 4, RAID 0 (Mirrored) the working space for the studio.

For backups get an external Vantec NexStar MX eSata box with 2 1.5 TB drives and set it up as a RAID 1 (Stripped)

For backup software-Synk Pro. Another supplier had suggested BRU, however I am concerned that although it is built for enterprise, it is too complicated to administer.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Do you need the peace of mind of having a bootable clone of your system that you can start from if something goes wrong, and pick up from where you left off? If you do, then consider adding a 3rd drive for this purpose, along with either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to create the bootable clone, to each machine.

Other than that, I like the suggested setup.

Yazza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Toronto
Excellent suggestion..I will work it into my approach. What I didn't mention in my post I expect the artists to work either from the server or from there workstation, that will be up to them. We do have a gigabit switch.

Do you need the peace of mind of having a bootable clone of your system that you can start from if something goes wrong, and pick up from where you left off? If you do, then consider adding a 3rd drive for this purpose, along with either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to create the bootable clone, to each machine.

Other than that, I like the suggested setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.