Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Can anyone recommend some very good apps for weight lifting, strength training? I will be using weights, mostly barbells, dumbbells and cables to build muscle. I am looking for something that has a great UI, easy to navigate, has pictures or videos of showing you how to do the specific exercise, and a way for us to choose or customize our exercises depending on whether we want to do a 3 day per week full body workout, or a push pull leg split, etc.

I'm not looking for subscription based apps like Apple Fitness+ or anything, but more of a fitness app that will allow me to see all the different exercises in great detail and for me to be able to choose or create a custom workout program quickly and efficiently. Also have the ability to log my workouts so I can keep track and see my progress over time. Like with reps, sets, weights, volume, etc.

I am having a tough time of having to envision and create my own workout routine. If there's an app that will assist me in building or prechoosing a custom workout program, that would be great.

I am looking for an app similiar to this - https://gymhero.me/

But would like something better.

Last edited:

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
That Reps & Sets really looks nice! Thanks for the recommendation. In case you're wondering, I have also stumbled across 2 other apps called Hevy and Strong as well. However they are subscription based, but also you can purchase the app for a one time fee. Which is quite expensive. Hevy costs $77 and Strong costs $99. Not sure how Reps & Sets compares to them. But I will try all 3 of them out and see which one is the best.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Yes, I have been using Strong and totally agree! It's very nice! $99 one time fee though is quite expensive.

Rob838383

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
I use Fitbod which I find great and you can let it suggest workouts (PPL, U/L etc) or save down workouts and custom make your own program. It also reads in other workouts, which is handy as I do biking etc too and that contributes to which muscle groups the app looks to target. It does progressive overload for you too.
Only think it doesn’t have, which might be useful, is a graphical way of seeing progress…you have to scroll through history for the exercises.

Have tried a few others to see if there’s anything better for me, but nothing stuck (didn’t like strong for pre-programmed sessions and it hated me changing exercises during the workout). Nothing free came close when I was looking at lots of apps to get going - not sure you will really get everything you are looking for without sub TBH. Not seen reps & sets before tho so will check that out, but at £55 for the year I get along nicely with Fitbod on the watch and I feel it’s definitely worth it.

3 free workouts if you want to try it

Haimusian

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2022
Well. I use BurnFit for the same reason. It’s a workout planning app where you can create your own workout plan or get the right routine from well-verified workout programs. Just like the other app but with a bit different concept.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.