Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macguy95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Greetings,

I recently ventured out to purchase a MacBook, contemplating the M3 MacBook Air initially. However, with its base model priced at 1805€ (approximately 1955$) for 8GB RAM and 256GB storage, I found it somewhat excessive for my needs. Then I saw a significant discount for the 2022 Model MacBook Pro M2 PRO - 16GB RAM, 512GB storage, 16 inch XDR display, plummeting price from 3000€ to 2400€, or around 3250$ to 2600$.

I am a journalist and I used and still use my Intel-based 2019 MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM and a 13-inch screen, which handles multitasking effortlessly but I wanted M chip and bigger display.

Base model 15 inch M3 Air was 1805€ vs 2400€, that's just 600€ or 660$ more to get the biggest possibile display, XDR, doubled memory and RAM, 16GB and 512GB.Now equipped with this powerhouse, I find myself delving into unfamiliar territory, seeking software for video and photo editing. My current tools include Word for writing and CapCut on my iPhone for video editing. I am so newbie. I've explored various options, from Inkscape and GIMP to Filmora, iMovie, and Darkroom, all in pursuit to expand creative skills and harnessing the potential of this mighty laptop.

In EU the base model MacBook Air 15 inch is priced at 1955$ for 8GB RAM and 256GB so for 600€ I got M2 Pro 16 inch PRO for just - a deal I could not resist but the biggest issue now is that I use Word and Chrome. Now I want to learn how to edit videos, photos and some other software that is not hard to learn. I am a freelancer so with writing and now with a beast of a computer I think I should make income not just from news articles I write but from photos and videos also.

Apple is so cheap in America, you guys are so happy with affordable Apple products, imagine paying 1955$ for baseline 15 inch Air.

Thanks!

P.S: In the Newspapers office I work on a Windows 7 PC, 4GB of RAM, year 2009, it runs smoothly for my current needs as a journalist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.