Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Hi there,

I'm on the market (again!) for a 2012 MacBook Pro (pre-Retina) battery.

The current one, a third-party manufacturer bought from eSourceParts (a local retailer, so no customs fee), failed after 15 total cycles, 1.5 year after manufacturing. It still holds about 90% charge according to Battery Meter, but bulged so much I have to keep the bottom cover open to release the pressure that was causing random malfunctions due to RAM or trackpad.

This one replaced a more expensive iFixit-sourced NewerTech unit, which lasted almost 3 years before bulging (though not as badly), in about 50 cycles. I should have known better, as I also got burned (metaphorically) with their iPhone batteries.

And before anyone asks, yes, I always used the original AC adapter with all the security features that Apple must have included, so unintentional overcharging is unlikely.

As a side note, as I repaired other Macs for friends with original Apple-branded batteries, I never saw one bulging up so badly. Losing capacity, obviously, as they are consumables.

I must admin, iFixit was kind enough to offer me a decent rebate on a new battery, but I'd rather avoid unreliable brands in the first place.

Of course I don't expect a battery to hold 80% of its charge after 10 years and 300 cycles, but these two strongly point to sloppy manufacturing. I wrongly assumed that by going higher in price range, I'd get a decent battery that could hold a decent charge, say 80% after 90-100 cycles.

What would be your brand recommendations for a 2012 MacBookPro9,2 battery? To be fair, I never looked at Apple's own prices since their original parts come with a mandatory technician fee.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
The current one, a third-party manufacturer bought from eSourceParts (a local retailer, so no customs fee), failed after 15 total cycles, 1.5 year after manufacturing. It still holds about 90% charge according to Battery Meter, but bulged so much I have to keep the bottom cover open to release the pressure that was causing random malfunctions due to RAM or trackpad.

This one replaced a more expensive iFixit-sourced NewerTech unit, which lasted almost 3 years before bulging (though not as badly), in about 50 cycles. I should have known better, as I also got burned (metaphorically) with their iPhone batteries.

Of course I don't expect a battery to hold 80% of its charge after 10 years and 300 cycles, but these two strongly point to sloppy manufacturing.
Ironically the better performing and overall better health batteries I ever came across were the ones with 1700+ cycles on them even at 10 years old(especially the original Apple ones). Don't get hang up on "cycle count", exercise is the key(don't let it sit plugged it at 100%). Apple just came up with a "cycle count" concept in order to minimize warranty replacements there is no science behind a "keeping a low count"(as your personal experience demonstrates).

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
That’s good to know, although I didn’t keep a low cycle count voluntarily. It just happens that I use another MacBook when going out. Too bad Apple never thought it useful to include a charging software able to “float” the battery between 20 and 80% like the Lenovos.

I was under the suspicion though that Apple artificially inflated their battery health. FWIW an iPhone SE (first gen) has 400 cycles already on its original battery, boasts 82% health, yet I can’t use it for more than 5 hours before it needs a charge. Another friend’s MacBook Air has 300 cycles on his, but can barely extract 4 hours of runtime.

So one vote for the original Apple?

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
If my own experience is anything to go by, then 2-Power batteries are reliable if buying a non-Apple replacement. This link takes you to the UK outlet (duracelldirect) for the 2-Power battery brand.

Another forum member took this advice a good while back and seemed happy with the results. I think he was based in Russia and purchased when he was in Australia.

Not sure where else 2-Power batteries are available.

My wife is still using her mid-2012 MacBook Pro with its original battery. What a champ!

Reactions: avz

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
If my own experience is anything to go by, then 2-Power batteries are reliable if buying a non-Apple replacement. This link takes you to the UK outlet (duracelldirect) for the 2-Power battery brand.

Another forum member took this advice a good while back and seemed happy with the results. I think he was based in Russia and purchased when he was in Australia.

Not sure where else 2-Power batteries are available.

My wife is still using her mid-2012 MacBook Pro with its original battery. What a champ!
It must have been me back in 2019 and yes 2-power is a solid brand from my experience.

Reactions: wordsworth

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
I dropped them a mail to know whether they have a distributor here, but is doesn't look too encouraging so far…
Also, Apple stopped providing in-house repairs for this model about two years ago, and that includes batteries :(

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
My guess is that these replacement batteries are all manufactured overseas (mostly if not all in China) at whatever factory happens to be "tooled up" to produce a particular model… and "brand" really doesn't mean anything. If a seller gets hold of a good batch it's just luck.

iFixit may have a more reliable source…but then again they may just be selling $25 batteries for $95…effectively charging $70 for the warranty.

Three years from a third-party Mac laptop battery is pretty good, though.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"And before anyone asks, yes, I always used the original AC adapter with all the security features that Apple must have included, so unintentional overcharging is unlikely."

I'm going to ask anyway:
Are you one of those users who always leaves the charger connected?
(please reply)

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Obviously batteries are all manufactured in China. What differs is the quality control, and many OEM batteries don’t pass the same QC as Apple ones.

As I wrote, iFixit sold me a bad unit once, so still wary about them.

@Fishrrman yes, I always keep it connected since I use another computer when going out, but set up a calendar reminder so exercise the battery about once a week. Hence the 20 cycles on this one

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
My guess is that these replacement batteries are all manufactured overseas (mostly if not all in China) at whatever factory happens to be "tooled up" to produce a particular model… and "brand" really doesn't mean anything. If a seller gets hold of a good batch it's just luck.

iFixit may have a more reliable source…but then again they may just be selling $25 batteries for $95…effectively charging $70 for the warranty.

Three years from a third-party Mac laptop battery is pretty good, though.
It seems rare verging on almost impossible to source a reliable third-party battery for 'vintage' laptops these days. That's why I am happy to contribute my own experience of 2-Power batteries on this thread (and other similar threads before it) and why, if my experience then holds true for others, it's still worth sharing such actual, real-world experience and making it unambiguously clear.

I'd spent a good couple of years studying the form, as it were, before taking a chance on the 2-Power battery for my 2009 white MacBook, which I'd until then continued to use plugged into a wall socket. I'm glad I discovered Duracell Direct and 2-Power batteries (back in 2021). My patience paid off.

When the wife's MacBook Pro mid-2012 battery eventually goes, I'll head straight to the 2-Power option again on her behalf. Hopefully the 2-Power's quality control standards remain as high now as they were/are for mine. Here's what the UK company's website says about the 2-Power batteries that they sell.

"At Duracell Direct we are proud to offer our customers a choice of Duracell laptop accessories alongside Original Brand parts where available. In some instances we may also offer a compatible solution from carefully selected brands such as 2-Power to compliment our range or to cover models that Duracell do not currently cover. 2-Power products are tested to the highest standards and manufactured using high quality components to deliver outstanding performance. Everything you'd expect from Duracell Direct."

Yes, plenty of cheapo battery products get that sort of marketing spiel but the proof is always in the post-purchase usage. I have no connection to Duracell Direct or 2-Power. My evangelism on their behalf comes from knowing what a difficult challenge it is getting a reliable, safe battery for an old laptop, and my satisfaction at having done just that.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
wordsworth --

Thank you for your comments above, BUT...

When I go to Duracell's page here:
... As you can see, they seem to offer batteries only for Asus and Toshiba laptops.

How did you arrive at which was the proper battery to order for a Mac laptop?

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
Yes, I see that. The UK Duracell Direct website has these batteries but I don't know in what other countries they are available. Clearly not on the US website. I bought mine in the UK in 2021.

Ah, I've just had a quick glance at 2-Power's own website

and it says this (and as I now recall):

2-Power Laptop Batteries​

2-Power has one of the largest ranges and stock holdings of compatible laptop batteries in Europe. All 2-Power Li-Ion laptop battery packs are assembled with Japanese and Korean cells providing unrivalled quality and greater reliability than many originals. The batteries are designed specifically for each brand and laptop model for voltage, capacity and fit. Continuous range development ensures that with 2-Power you have batteries for virtually all laptops.

ENDS

So it would seem that if you are not based in the UK or Europe then you won't have easy access to these. And I think it was this very statement on the 2-Power website that convinced me, back then, to give their MacBook battery a try. There wasn't a great deal of due diligence one could pursue for vintage laptop battery replacement but definitely lots of feedback evidence on Amazon etc of inferior products available elsewhere (so one knew what to avoid), plus perennial threads on MacRumors from people facing the same battery replacement challenges as I was. The UK Duracell Direct company seemed to be reputable enough, and the 2-Power description of what their battery policy was/is on their website was the clincher, and convinced me it was worth a try.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Still no answer from 2-Power.

Meanwhile, I found a local retailer selling a compatible for $90. Warranty is 2 year-long, vs. iFixit's 1 year, for the same price.

Seems I won't be able to source from the best… :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.