Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellothere231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I've been wanting to connect my Bluetooth wireless headphones (it's got 4.0 and aptx) to my Powerbook running Leopard 10.5.8, but with the inbuilt BT (1.1 IIRC), music is choppy and low quality. What's the best bluetooth adapter I can get for it? USB is fine, but I would more prefer PCMCIA since I would still have a free USB port on my laptop. Thanks.

hellothere231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I don't have the answer you're looking for either...but did you consider a bluetooth transmitter to plug into your audio jack?
No, I haven't actually, I'll look into this; only problem is I would have to externally charge the device (unless it can power itself off the 3.5mm jack?)

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
No, I haven't actually, I'll look into this; only problem is I would have to externally charge the device (unless it can power itself off the 3.5mm jack?)

Most are charged via USB, so you could have it plugged into that...and a PCMCIA card could provide you with a couple more USB ports as mentioned above.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I don't have an ibook but I do have a G4 powermac quick silver. For BT, I am using a cheap Chinese Soundbot (SB340) BT4.0 dongle. Works great for my mouse and was immediately found by OSX10.5.8 and usable. I occasionally have to re-sync my magic mouse when waking up the powermac out of sleep but that is about it. Anyhow, here's one for $7.99US with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SoundBot-SB...920571?hash=item1ea860943b:g:HHAAAOSwrklVHHoJ

Unfortunately, I have not used it for audio myself so I cannot speak to the audio quality, however the reviews that I have read, are all excellent both in regards to sound quality and connectivity/range. Here's one.

Last edited:
Reactions: hellothere231

hellothere231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I don't have an ibook but I do have a G4 powermac quick silver. For BT, I am using a cheap Chinese Soundbot (SB340) BT4.0 dongle. Works great for my mouse and was immediately found by OSX10.5.8 and usable. I occasionally have to re-sync my magic mouse when waking up the powermac out of sleep but that is about it. Anyhow, here's one for $7.99US with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SoundBot-SB...920571?hash=item1ea860943b:g:HHAAAOSwrklVHHoJ

Unfortunately, I have not used it for audio myself so I cannot speak to the audio quality, however the reviews that I have read, are all excellent both in regards to sound quality and connectivity/range. Here's one.

If it works fine with your Quicksilver, I might just have to go with that, then. Thanks.

Reactions: 1042686
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.