Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Which iPod Model (touch, Nano, etc) with built-in Bluetooth (for wireless earbuds) would be best for working out in the gym, and you can sync songs from iTunes (I have a few albums I can add) with it? I don't want any of this Apple Music stuff to be prevalent in it either.

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
Which iPod Model (touch, Nano, etc) with built-in Bluetooth (for wireless earbuds) would be best for working out in the gym, and you can sync songs from iTunes (I have a few albums I can add) with it? I don't want any of this Apple Music stuff to be prevalent in it either.
Nano 7G.

Reactions: VirtuallyInsane

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
The 7th gen Nano can still be found in good condition, but the better examples tend to be a little pricey. A used iPod's battery condition is always an unknown, and replacing the 7th gen battery requires delicate work and a very small soldering iron (see iFixit for details). There are "refurbished" ones for sale on eBay, and even new ones (for stupid-high prices).

I believe that the 7th gen Nano was the last iPod sold, aside from the iPod touch. The bluetooth works well, although using it drains the battery a bit faster, as does the FM receiver (you have to use wired earbuds for radio, the cord is the antenna). It has 16 GB of storage.

For the gym, I favor my 2nd gen Nano. Its 2 GB of storage is more than enough for multiple workout playlists, and I don't worry so much about sweating all over it or losing it. Same for the cheap wired earbuds I use. It also looks grungy enough to probably be safe from theft :)

Reactions: VirtuallyInsane

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
The 7th gen Nano can still be found in good condition, but the better examples tend to be a little pricey. A used iPod's battery condition is always an unknown, and replacing the 7th gen battery requires delicate work and a very small soldering iron (see iFixit for details). There are "refurbished" ones for sale on eBay, and even new ones (for stupid-high prices).

I believe that the 7th gen Nano was the last iPod sold, aside from the iPod touch. The bluetooth works well, although using it drains the battery a bit faster, as does the FM receiver (you have to use wired earbuds for radio, the cord is the antenna). It has 16 GB of storage.

For the gym, I favor my 2nd gen Nano. Its 2 GB of storage is more than enough for multiple workout playlists, and I don't worry so much about sweating all over it or losing it. Same for the cheap wired earbuds I use. It also looks grungy enough to probably be safe from theft :)
Thank you. I have ordered a 7th gen, which was tested and in good condition. I hope that it lasts 1-2 hours. That's all I need it for, just to download my music onto and stream through my wireless earbuds. I don't mind it draining a bit more of the power, to be honest, as long as it does the job.

I would use a 2nd gen, but I love the idea of slipping the 7th gen into my pocket, and not having to worry about the wired buds slipping out, or the wires annoying me as I work out.

Reactions: Grumpus

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Hi, thanks for your help everyone. I got the 7th Gen second hand in pretty good condition and I loaded 14Gb of music on it for the gym, am looking forward to it!

Reactions: Grumpus

jessicaporter2141

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2022
United States
There is no "best" Bluetooth iPod, because everyone's needs are different. Some people might prefer a model with a lot of storage space, while others might prefer one that is ultra-light and easy to carry around.

That said, here are some of the top Bluetooth iPods on the market today:

• Apple iPod touch (6th generation)
• Apple iPod nano (7th generation)
• Samsung Galaxy S8+
• Sony NWZ-A17 Walkman MP3 Player

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.