Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
Now that I'm a serious mac person, as a developer, I think I should familiarize myself with OS X native technologies. So I have decided to learn Cocoa. I already know basic C and Objective-C is pretty much the same thing minus a few things. Right now, I'm looking for a book that can teach me Cocoa as far as how to make an application, how Cocoa is structured, how to extend upon it to make your app better, etc. I'm also looking for it to serve as a reference to keep in my library of dev books. What are some of the best books that teach Cocoa and how to makes apps with Cocoa?

I appreciate the help :)

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
This has been answered several times before in other threads but I'm feeling helpful so here's my choices.

1) 'Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X' by Aaron Hillegass Amazon link
2) 'Cocoa Programming' by Anguish, Buck and Yacktman Amazon Link
3) 'Core Mac Osx And Unix Programming' by Dalrymple and Hillegass Amazon Link

Having personally used the above three books I can say that they're all very good. 1) is pretty basic 2) more in depth but slightly out of date as it doesn't cover newer technologies like bindings and 3) is very detailed and in depth. Covers a lot of the more esoteric Cocoa topics but a lot of it is about the Carbon/POSIX API stuff you need to know that Cocoa doesn't hide from you.

Another book that seems to get good reviews is 'Programming in Objective-C' by Stephen Kochan link.
I've never used this book personally but is apparently an excellent intro into Objective-C and OOP.

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
Well, I was just about to ask the same question, now I dont have to :).

Thanks for the suggestions many of those look exactly what I was looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.