Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
The standard cables that come packaged with eGPU enclosures are not long enough. At 0.8m at their longest, short cables make using an eGPU unwieldy and inconvenient.

For that reason, I made this video comparing six of the popular brands of active, two-meter long Thunderbolt 3 cables. I compare cables in terms of benchmarks, cable quality, stress test results (wobbling while connected), reviews, and price.

Thanks to a long Thunderbolt 3 cable I can now mount my eGPU under my desk and not crowd the desk space next to an iMac.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I hope you know how Apple use one thunderbolt controller for two ports! So if you have two ports that mean one thunderbolt controller! So if you have four ports that mean two controllers control that port!

Reactions: ruslan120

AMP12345

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
I just wish Apple would sell that braided cable that comes with the Pro Display XDR. I know they would charge WAY too much for it but I'd probably still pay for it.

Reactions: ruslan120

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
I just wish Apple would sell that braided cable that comes with the Pro Display XDR. I know they would charge WAY too much for it but I'd probably still pay for it.

Me too!

I hope you know how Apple use one thunderbolt controller for two ports! So if you have two ports that mean one thunderbolt controller! So if you have four ports that mean two controllers control that port!

Oof, that’s good to know. (Ty)

eahyndman3

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2015
Mobile, AL
1) Would have been nice to know if any difference in cable firmware between the different cables (found in System Profiler)
2) Would have been interesting to test the CalDigit and Sonnet cables

I have questioned for some time if some of the variance people see with benchmarks on eGPUs may be due to cable issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.