Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
TLDR A monitor for software development (mainly wanting crisper text and UI) on an M1 Mac and gaming (no refresh requirement higher than 60 Hz) on a Windows 10 PC.

=========================

I currently have two monitors, which were previously paired with a 2012 Mac mini and HP slim notebook (Intel UHD 620 IGP):

I finally upgraded the computers and thinking it’s also time to upgrade the displays. Additionally, I’m hoping it would be plausible to consolidate to a single monitor as my desk is only ~39x23 inches. The display curvature is not necessary, however, I feel it is a nice perk. The PC is a Chronos with RTX 3080 that I’m primarily using to play games via Game Pass Ultimate. The 27-inch is starting to feel a little cramped, especially with apps such as Xcode and VSC. I prefer to spend less than or equal to $500 USD, but willing to stretch the budget to $1000 USD. The following are some of the candidates I have narrowed down — which I would presumably use at 200% scaled -- but feel free to suggest/recommend others:

I have also considered using a UHD TV as a monitor, for example:

The idea is more about possible cost effectiveness than size. Please toss out any known cons for this option. Speaking of such… I do not have the patience to buy and try thus been needing to base the decision on specifications, ratings, and reviews — including some posted in the:

Mac mini M1 compatible monitor list

Thanks for any insight. :)

MacDividend

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2020
I just bought a Samsung 4K Smart Monitor to use with my computer. The 32" is currently $120 off. I bought it yesterday since they are running a sale right now. It depends on what features you are looking for but from a quick search online it looks like the current base price of a 4K monitor is around $300, not including sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.