Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
What are your thoughts on the best non-Apple made phone with regards to looks, feel and build materials?

Mine is the Samsung Omnia 7 Windows Phone:
samsungomnia7.jpg

The first Windows phone I'd owned and I bought it online without even holding one. To my surprise it was weighty, felt premium in the hand with its metal chassis. Coupled up with one of Samsung's SAMOLED displays and (to me at least) it was a fantastic phone to use.

Easily one of the best phone I've ever had the pleasure to use.

Yours?

Last edited:

polotska

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
I have no experience with that Samsung, but I quite liked the Nokia Lumia 900 that I played with.

Last edited:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Best build quality I've ever seen in a phone was an old, Motorola Nextel, yellow construction cell phone. Predating smartphones (and even flip phones), it's features were minimal, but damn if that thing didn't take a beating.

At an old job where they were the company phones, I saw them dropped off of 50' buildings, ran over by trucks, dropped in water, and countless other major mishaps that would destroy a lesser phone... but they never stopped working and rarely even showed a mark for the worse.

igiboi

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
If we're posting images... :D

but this is a close 2nd: 3 day battery life under heavy use, 1 week (I think) standby time.

Oh man, i Used to love those SE fones, back when Nokia was the bomb , i used to rock walkman SE fones with the in-ear earphones. I really like the UI and never froze on me. Camera's were great on SE phones especially the K-series

----------

Best build quality I've ever seen in a phone was an old, Motorola Nextel, yellow construction cell phone. Predating smartphones (and even flip phones), it's features were minimal, but damn if that thing didn't take a beating.

At an old job where they were the company phones, I saw them dropped off of 50' buildings, ran over by trucks, dropped in water, and countless other major mishaps that would destroy a lesser phone... but they never stopped working and rarely even showed a mark for the worse.

Have you tried the Nokia 5110. lol best rugged fone evarrr

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
LG CU515, hands down. Perfect call quality, batt lasts forever, charge lasts forever, keys you can press without making fatfinger mistakes, nice finish on it. Cool equalizer on the MP3 player. And mine is a great dark plum color. Love that phone!

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
The Motorola Razr V3 was my favorite dumb phone of all time and was probably the best selling phone almost 10 years ago. I really liked this phone. Build quality was awesome and was very Star Trekish.

motorola-razr-v3-spy-phone-3.jpg

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Galaxy S3.

What are you talking about - that phone feels so plastic-y. (Not saying it's a bad phone, I wish I had the $$ to buy one)

As a heavy Android user, and owner of Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, and now the Galaxy Nexus, I'd say Samsung phones (At least their new Android ones) are made of crap plastic.

HTC phones, especially WP7 ones, are made from heavy, quality, material.

I'd have to go with the Titan 2 (Or the Titan, I guess, but I've never held it).

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
My Lumia 900 was really solid, up to par with the iPhone 4. I do have to say I'm rather impressed with the SGS3 as well. Plastic or not it feels well built.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
What are you talking about - that phone feels so plastic-y. (Not saying it's a bad phone, I wish I had the $$ to buy one)

As a heavy Android user, and owner of Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, and now the Galaxy Nexus, I'd say Samsung phones (At least their new Android ones) are made of crap plastic.

I'd have to go with the Titan 2 (Or the Titan, I guess, but I've never held it).

I don't mind the plastic. It's solidly built, very light weighr and very easy to wipe clean.

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
I'd have to say the Lumia 900. It's the phone I would buy if the iPhone didn't exist.

Before everyone and their brother had a smartphone, it would have probably been the first generation RAZR for me as well.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
The Motorola RAZR; the flip phone, not the new one. That phone could really take a beating.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Lol I forgot all about those. I just dug mine out. Lol

47a63a40-52b9-d3dc.jpg

Still works!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Re: Samsung phones.

I too used to diss their plastic shells, and prefer other, heavier phones.

Now I'm not only used to the Galaxy's light weight, but I prefer it along with their thinness and slight curvature, so that they fit nicely in any pocket.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Motorola and Samsung phones. While the Samsung phones are usually plastic they are also well put together and everything fits tightly. Mg Verizon galaxy nexus has no creaks and it feels solid. My days rezound is nice but a ton of dust has gotten into the front camera. My incredible was well built as well but the back cover creaked a tiny tiny bit if you didn't have a case. I always had a case on it though. It was really minor though.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Nokia 5110

kmd1301658906.jpg

Awesome at the time.
Don't remember ever having to do a system restore :D
Had a third party hack to let the user draw a custom graphic to the LCD display.
Could buy antennas with flashing LEDs in them!

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Samsung Focus. Very tough phone (survived some scary drops) that looked and felt great despite it being all plastic. Love the way the back cover looked, the camera placement, the speaker, and where Samsung stuck the volume and power buttons.

Attachments

• samsung-focus.jpg
    samsung-focus.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 189

anthonytkim

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Has to be my Sanyo Katana. if my enV 2 didn't break every other month, it would have claimed the title.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Unlocked Orange SPV c500. I still look at the picture and think its a great looking phone. IMHO it was the first consumer smartphone that showed you didn't need a PDA looking phone to have the functionality of a smartphone. For me, it was the gateway smartphone that started my obsession. :D

picture-21.png

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I haven't Used the Lumia 900 but I really admire the build and feel of it.

I also really like my S3 as well though, but it is much lighter.

I thought the iP4 model was attractive, but it always felt too "delicate and small" in my hand, I was afraid to place it face down without a case or on it's back because I didn't want to damage or scratch the screen/camera lens. I fixed that by throwing a Mophie battery Air case on it but of course then you lose the aesthetic form factor

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

Mostly a personal opinion ofcourse, but heavy phones suck. The hand gets tired after a while especially if it is one of those monster phones. Even the HTC One X is actually plastic, they just refined it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.