Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MuckrakerJG

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Best Buy has a 4th of July sale with the iPhone 12 mini $200 off. Either $529 (instead of $729) to buy outright or they will do lower monthly payments with your carrier over 24 months to equal about the same.

My question is, do you think the 13 mini when announced will get a price drop since the 12 mini didn't sell that well? And then the 12 mini if it sticks around could end up going this low anyway?

I'm one of those people who thought Apple priced 12 mini too high and it would have sold better at like $599. So $529 seems like a good deal, just not sure if worth waiting for the 13 announcement.

Thoughts? Pros and Cons of buying vs waiting?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
$200 off the mini is a great deal. If the mini 13 is released, as I think it will be, you won't see a drastic cut in the 12 mini price, at least not right away. And there is no promise it will be $200 again.

The new phone will be a very small spec bump as usual from Apple.

I would buy the 12 mini at that price.

macguy2021

Suspended
Jun 2, 2021
I strongly believe there will not be another Mini. There will likely be a 13, 13 Pro, and 13 Pro Max. Due to subpar sales, I think it's going to be discontinued.

Definitely snatch that one up if you like the form factor. Great price. The only downside to that phone is the battery. And this is coming from someone who personally only likes and uses Pro Max's. But it was a great phone handicapped by the battery.

• Haha
Reactions: lpc2 and snipr125

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I strongly believe there will not be another Mini. There will likely be a 13, 13 Pro, and 13 Pro Max. Due to subpar sales, I think it's going to be discontinued.

Definitely snatch that one up if you like the form factor. Great price. The only downside to that phone is the battery. And this is coming from someone who personally only likes and uses Pro Max's. But it was a great phone handicapped by the battery.
You are right. The battery is a concern if a person uses the phone expecting Pro Max battery time.

I can routinely get 5 - 6 of SoT with my mini. I don't game or do social media. I am a basic phone use kind of guy. I also have access to charging, should I need that during the day.

Reactions: macguy2021

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX

More than likely with the 14 iterations it’ll be discontinued, but mock-up models of 13 minis are already out. There will be a 13 mini with a slight increase in battery size.

Reactions: snipr125

macguy2021

Suspended
Jun 2, 2021
More than likely with the 14 iterations it’ll be discontinued, but mock-up models of 13 minis are already out. There will be a 13 mini with a slight increase in battery size.

Doesn't make sense they would improve it and fix it's only flaw and then discontinue it. Mockups have been wrong before. I think mockups are nothing more than a "physical rumor" made with someone with CAD files and 3D printers.

I strongly believe it will be discontinued. If not, they'll keep making it for awhile. It wouldn't make sense to fix it, see improved sales, and then still kill it. If the 14 mini happens and they improve the battery and it sells better if not greatly better, then they will keep it. It makes no sense to invest the time into fixing it, see improved sales numbers, and kill it.

• Haha

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
It is reported to get a slightly bigger battery but, from the reports thus far, the increased size isn't going to amount to a drastic increase in battery life.
Yes the 13 mini is expected to get a modest increase of 8% (about 2400 mh) battery capacity over the 12 mini (roughly 2200 mh).This should equate to about an extra hour or so of usage which is better than nothing i suppose.

• Haha

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Doesn't make sense they would improve it and fix it's only flaw and then discontinue it. Mockups have been wrong before. I think mockups are nothing more than a "physical rumor" made with someone with CAD files and 3D printers.

I strongly believe it will be discontinued. If not, they'll keep making it for awhile. It wouldn't make sense to fix it, see improved sales, and then still kill it. If the 14 mini happens and they improve the battery and it sells better if not greatly better, then they will keep it. It makes no sense to invest the time into fixing it, see improved sales numbers, and kill it.
You do realize apple plans for mass manufacturing of devices months if not years in advance to meet the demand for their sales? So… there more than likely will be a 13 mini with the “minor” improvements. A15 processor, smaller notch, bigger camera sensor(s), bigger battery and maybe some sort of improvement for Faceid/touchid. By that logic; why make ANY 13 model with minor improvements if they all only had one flaw. So far, the battery drain issue seems to be an issue across all 12 models. Some already needing a battery replacement.

I think I’ll take the word and images over a well known leaker that there will be a 13 mini. Either way, it’ll be interesting to see what the new 13 lineup consists of.

macguy2021

Suspended
Jun 2, 2021
You do realize apple plans for mass manufacturing of devices months if not years in advance to meet the demand for their sales? So… there more than likely will be a 13 mini with the “minor” improvements. A15 processor, smaller notch, bigger camera sensor(s), bigger battery and maybe some sort of improvement for Faceid/touchid. By that logic; why make ANY 13 model with minor improvements if they all only had one flaw. So far, the battery drain issue seems to be an issue across all 12 models. Some already needing a battery replacement.

I think I’ll take the word and images over a well known leaker that there will be a 13 mini. Either way, it’ll be interesting to see what the new 13 lineup consists of.

Battery issues across the 12 series? Really?! Are you sure it's not a software problem? I've heard no widespread issue.

The problem with the 12 Mini is the lack of mAh. Nothing more, nothing less. It wasn't because of a bad battery. There is no widespread battery issue with the 12 series iPhones. That is patently false. I do think iOS 14.6 is having issues with some people's devices that are not limited to 12 series iPhones that will be fixed in the upcoming 14.7 release.

You do realize plans can change and that only an idiot would stick to the plan if it meant killing off a successful product? Sure if they do a 13 Mini and it bombs again, absolutely. But if they sell great, who gives a RA about plans. You have to adapt and change them. Of course products are thought of years in advance. That doesn't mean they always stick to those plans. They had every intention of releasing AirPower. Even had the box finalized. But to be frank, "s**t happens"!

My 12 Pro Max has the best battery life of any iPhone I've had an I've been on a yearly upgrade cycle since the 6 Plus. Even on 14.6, it's a charge-every-other-day phone for me, and I'm a heavy user. It's a little less on 14.6, but not much.

The problem with the 12 Mini battery is not the same on the 12, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max. It was they didn't put a big enough battery to drive an OLED screen. It's that phone's only flaw. Easy to fix. I don't think they will. Hope they do.

I'm really trying to say is that if they make a 13 Mini and surprise me - and it sells well - they will continue to make it. What I'm saying is truly impossible from a business perspective is to make the 13 Mini, it sells great, and still decide not to do a 14 Mini. I'd bet the farm that doesn't happen. It doesn't make good business sense to kill a product just because two years ago you said you would, despite recent devlopments of it now selling like hotcakes. You can't be that rigid.

You can believe your leaker. Of course leakers are never wrong. ;) (hi Jon Prosser you worthless hack!).

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Battery issues across the 12 series? Really?! Are you sure it's not a software problem? I've heard no widespread issue.

The problem with the 12 Mini is the lack of mAh. Nothing more, nothing less. It wasn't because of a bad battery. There is no widespread battery issue with the 12 series iPhones. That is patently false. I do think iOS 14.6 is having issues with some people's devices that are not limited to 12 series iPhones that will be fixed in the upcoming 14.7 release.

You do realize plans can change and that only an idiot would stick to the plan if it meant killing off a successful product? Sure if they do a 13 Mini and it bombs again, absolutely. But if they sell great, who gives a RA about plans. You have to adapt and change them. Of course products are thought of years in advance. That doesn't mean they always stick to those plans. They had every intention of releasing AirPower. Even had the box finalized. But to be frank, "s**t happens"!

My 12 Pro Max has the best battery life of any iPhone I've had an I've been on a yearly upgrade cycle since the 6 Plus. Even on 14.6, it's a charge-every-other-day phone for me, and I'm a heavy user. It's a little less on 14.6, but not much.

The problem with the 12 Mini battery is not the same on the 12, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max. It was they didn't put a big enough battery to drive an OLED screen. It's that phone's only flaw. Easy to fix. I don't think they will. Hope they do.

I'm really trying to say is that if they make a 13 Mini and surprise me - and it sells well - they will continue to make it. What I'm saying is truly impossible from a business perspective is to make the 13 Mini, it sells great, and still decide not to do a 14 Mini. I'd bet the farm that doesn't happen. It doesn't make good business sense to kill a product just because two years ago you said you would, despite recent devlopments of it now selling like hotcakes. You can't be that rigid.

You can believe your leaker. Of course leakers are never wrong. ;) (hi Jon Prosser you worthless hack!).
?See you back here when the 13 mini is released. ☺️

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
It’s all in good fun. The more options we have the more people will consider and enjoy the Apple ecosystem. I mean no harm or to aggravate anyone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.