Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2019
Anyone have experience with Best Buy open box AirPods Max? Do you recommend?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
They don’t do anything special if that’s what you’re asking. Someone returns something, they briefly take a look, then someone marks it down accordingly.

I wouldn’t buy open box from any company.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Warranty starts at the original date of sale... and if that's greater than 60 days ago, there's no AppleCare+ option either. I'm with @Sheepish-Lord, no open box for me. I do buy refurbished stuff direct from Apple but that has a full warranty.

Reactions: max2 and bhodinut

kyriostrife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
yeah Best Buy doesn’t do a good job with open box. When I bought my MacBook Pro from them, it wasn’t cleaned at all. The sales manager scolded the geek squad and turned it into huge ordeal. I wasn’t trying to get anyone fired. But he said apparently it happens all the time and it’s really frustrating because it affects a sale for them since the consumer gets annoyed. I took it because I got a great deal (with the 3 years applecare) and my OCD took care of the cleaning. However, headphones are a different story.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I’ve bought two laptops from them and they were in excellent condition. Other than missing plastic they were new. My current 15 in MB air is a Best Buy open box item. 256gb with 512 gb ram for $1170ish was a steal. You can always return them if it didn’t meet your expectations. I did buy an external display that didn’t meet my expectations but Best Buy accepted the returns with no issues. If I can save $250 or more I’ll go with open box from Best Buy.

Reactions: Ludatyk

kyriostrife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
I’ve bought two laptops from them and they were in excellent condition. Other than missing plastic they were new. My current 15 in MB air is a Best Buy open box item. 256gb with 512 gb ram for $1170ish was a steal. You can always return them if it didn’t meet your expectations. I did buy an external display that didn’t meet my expectations but Best Buy accepted the returns with no issues. If I can save $250 or more I’ll go with open box from Best Buy.
That’s about the same price I got my m1 MacBook Pro so even with the cleanliness issues from Best Buy, I couldn’t pass it up. I just overlooked it and moved on.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
i believe there is no open box headphones at bestbuy - they call it refurbished, because they can’t sell open box headphones without cleaning them so they pretend like refurbishing them.

Long story short buying used jacket from goodwill might be okay for some of us but there is a reason why underwear is not sold second hand at the same goodwill.

This is to say i bought coffee stained macbook air from them which works great 3.5 years later, but i would not buy a used headphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.