Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrickStar3D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Hello Peeps! I'm a newbie so please be gentle if I'm out of sorts. I am wearing a flak jacket just in case I'm doing something inappropriate. ;-} I just acquired a Mac Pro Tower 5.1 with a NVIDIA GTX Titan X 12 GB card. I was wondering what the best cable to connect it to a Dell 27" 5k monitor to get the optimal results. I sincerely appreciate anyone's assistance. Thank you!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Hello Peeps! I'm a newbie so please be gentle if I'm out of sorts. I am wearing a flak jacket just in case I'm doing something inappropriate. ;-} I just acquired a Mac Pro Tower 5.1 with a NVIDIA GTX Titan X 12 GB card. I was wondering what the best cable to connect it to a Dell 27" 5k monitor to get the optimal results. I sincerely appreciate anyone's assistance. Thank you!

The Titan X supports Displayport 1.2 and HDMI 2.0. Neither is ideal but Displayport 1.2 is better since it supports 5K even if it is only 30Hz. HDMI 2.0 peaks at 4K. If the monitor, video card and OS X support it. You can use dual mode Displayport using two cables from the card to monitor for 5K@60Hz. There is no harm in trying. Be sure the DP cables are 1.2 or higher. From what I have read it should work on the Mac Pro, Titan X and at least the Dell UP2715K.

http://www.macstoreuk.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53
http://barefeats.com/mpt5k1.html

CrickStar3D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
The Titan X supports Displayport 1.2 and HDMI 2.0. Neither is ideal but Displayport 1.2 is better since it supports 5K even if it is only 30Hz. HDMI 2.0 peaks at 4K. If the monitor, video card and OS X support it. You can use dual mode Displayport using two cables from the card to monitor for 5K@60Hz. There is no harm in trying. Be sure the DP cables are 1.2 or higher. From what I have read it should work on the Mac Pro, Titan X and at least the Dell UP2715K.

Sorry I forgot to Thank you! I sincerely appreciate your help! I think I have everything I needed. Thanks also for the link! It was very helpful!

http://www.macstoreuk.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53
http://barefeats.com/mpt5k1.html

Last edited:

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
To get 5K on the DPort, doesn't it require you to connect 2 cables to the Dell monitor? I believe I read this somewhere.

scott.n

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010
According to the tech specs page for the monitor (link above), there are two DP cables included.

CrickStar3D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
According to the tech specs page for the monitor (link above), there are two DP cables included.

I thought as much. Thank you reaffirming however it was opened about 2 months by a co-worker who is on vacation and out of pocket. I will need to wait until she returns.

Once again Thanks!
How do I end a thread since I have received the remedy to my question?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Be sure the DP cables are 1.2 or higher.
More to the point, be sure that the cables actually meet the DP 1.2 spec.

I've bought a couple of pallets of the Dell P2715Q 4K monitors, and some of my people need something longer than the 1.5m mDP<->DP cable that's included.

The Dell monitor performs a cable check when powering on, and I've seen messages "cable does not support higher than 2560x1440 resolution" (and the monitor won't run in native resolution) with some cables labeled "DP 1.2".

I've been buying the "Nippon Labs HBR2" cables from Newegg, and no problems at 4K - even with the 3m cables.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-12-816-409
[doublepost=1467499805][/doublepost]
How do I end a thread since I have received the remedy to my question?
Just say "thanks", and stop replying. The thread will send itself to the graveyard.

CrickStar3D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
More to the point, be sure that the cables actually meet the DP 1.2 spec.

I've bought a couple of pallets of the Dell P2715Q 4K monitors, and some of my people need something longer than the 1.5m mDP<->DP cable that's included.

The Dell monitor performs a cable check when powering on, and I've seen messages "cable does not support higher than 2560x1440 resolution" (and the monitor won't run in native resolution) with some cables labeled "DP 1.2".

I've been buying the "Nippon Labs HBR2" cables from Newegg, and no problems at 4K - even with the 3m cables.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-12-816-409
[doublepost=1467499805][/doublepost]
Just say "thanks", and stop replying. The thread will send itself to the graveyard.
The cables you referred to are for 4k correct? I am trying to find cables for 5k. Are you implying they will work with 5k as well? Thanks for your help!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The cables you referred to are for 4k correct? I am trying to find cables for 5k. Are you implying they will work with 5k as well? Thanks for your help!
There are no 5K cables right now (or more accurately, there are no GPUs with 5K outputs).

You need to run two (a pair) of 4K cables from the GPU to the monitor for 5K.

Yes, a pair of the Nippon Labs 4K HBR2 cables should be great for 5K.

CrickStar3D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
There are no 5K cables right now (or more accurately, there are no GPUs with 5K outputs).

You need to run two (a pair) of 4K cables from the GPU to the monitor for 5K.

Yes, a pair of the Nippon Labs 4K HBR2 cables should be great for 5K.
Will any 2 Displayport 1.2 cables be appropriate? Or does it have to be the same as the one you recommended? I am trying to get them asap and only get them via mail order only. Thanks dude! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Will these work?
StarTech.com 3 ft Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 Adapter Cable M/M - DisplayPort 4k with HBR2 support - 3 feet Mini DP to DP Cable

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Will any 2 Displayport 1.2 cables be appropriate? Or does it have to be the same as the one you recommended? I am trying to get them asap and only get them via mail order only. Thanks dude! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.
Any pair of quality DP 1.2 cables should do 5K. I've bought some cheap ones that didn't meet the DP 1.2 standard, and have found that the Nippon Labs cables are reasonably priced and excellent.

The cables that are included with the monitor will also be excellent. I've had no problems with the Dell cables - it's only been when someone needed longer cables that problems came up.

We have the motorized "sit/stand" desks so that the distance beween the tower and the monitor can easily change by a meter or so a couple of times a day. With cable channels and other things, the 3m cables are perfect for connecting a tower on the floor (where you want it) with the movable monitor. Cheap "house brand" cables couldn't do 4K....

For the people with laptops and docking stations - the system is on the table with the monitors, and the Dell cables are fine.

CrickStar3D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Any pair of quality DP 1.2 cables should do 5K. I've bought some cheap ones that didn't meet the DP 1.2 standard, and have found that the Nippon Labs cables are reasonably priced and excellent.

The cables that are included with the monitor will also be excellent. I've had no problems with the Dell cables - it's only been when someone needed longer cables that problems came up.

We have the motorized "sit/stand" desks so that the distance beween the tower and the monitor can easily change by a meter or so a couple of times a day. With cable channels and other things, the 3m cables are perfect for connecting a tower on the floor (where you want it) with the movable monitor. Cheap "house brand" cables couldn't do 4K....

For the people with laptops and docking stations - the system is on the table with the monitors, and the Dell cables are fine.
I have a desktop configuration and unfortunately due to a physical disability and limited desk space the 3ft cables best suit my needs. My caregiver is out of pocket so I have no idea where the cables that came with the Dell monitor. Will search for similar cables you mentioned, but only 3ft. Thanks again!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I have a desktop configuration and unfortunately due to a physical disability and limited desk space the 3ft cables best suit my needs. My caregiver is out of pocket so I have no idea where the cables that came with the Dell monitor. Will search for similar cables you mentioned, but only 3ft. Thanks again!
The Dell cables are about 4.5 feet - you should be fine if the system is on the desk. If it's on the floor, it might be too short.

And note that there might be many other good cables out there. My experience is very limited:
  • the Dell cables are great, but not very long
  • some local "house branded" cables couldn't do 4K
  • the Newegg cables are all good, even at 3m in length, and are reasonably priced
Once I found the Nippon Labs cables at Newegg, I didn't look further.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.