Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hello all,

So I saw and fell in love with the new 2019 Nissan Altima. Admittedly the main reason was the gorgeous new CarPlay screen that I think also supports Android. But man do I like this CarPlay system. Unfortunately the Altima will sell for $24,000 and I would much rather purchase a used Nissan Altima Coupe and install my own CarPlay. Any recommendations? The huge screen on the 2019 Nissan Altima is awesome but I mainly just want to easily Connect when I get in my car.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Perhaps a more pressing question that I’m wondering if the MR community can answer for me, but are these CarPlay stereos compatible with rear view cameras? How would that work. This seems like a professional install is needed.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
I have the Avic-W8400nex , has wireless CarPlay and all that fun stuff. picked it up for $600 after a rebate of $200 via visa pre paid card. I highly recommend it! there's also the Avic-w4400nex which has wireless CarPlay as well and is cheaper.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Perhaps a more pressing question that I’m wondering if the MR community can answer for me, but are these CarPlay stereos compatible with rear view cameras? How would that work. This seems like a professional install is needed.
I use Alpine's iLx-107, one of the few wireless CarPlay out there. UI has been another, and back up camera can be installed as well.

fatalogic

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016

If you’re not handy and have never installed a stereo it would probably be difficult but if you’re a diy type of person / have time to learn it’s not too troublesome.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I can't speak for the Altima, but I know my VW Golf R 2016 model has a stereo you can't change because it has all the "car" stuff built into it. Does the Altima have you turn on/off safety things via the head unit, or show your mileage, car status stuff etc on the main screen? If it does, be careful. You may not be able to swap it out.

However, if it's nothing like the above, you'd be good to go.

Reactions: comptr

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015

If your altima already has a rear view camera most aftermarket units will be able to connect to it. If you don't have one installing one yourself isn't too bad, it just takes time to route the wires. Most cars will have a lot of DIY videos available for installing new stereos but you will need a few special tools (plastic pry bars to pop the trim off). You should take a look at Crutchfield and see what they have available, they are great at helping find all the items you'll need.

As for specific units I'd only look at Kenwood Excelon, Pioneer, or Sony. Those 3 all have good reps for quality units. I have an older Kenwood, a 9902(?) with a glass screen and it works very well. Pioneer last year released a few carplay units that are relatively inexpensive and Sony has a couple of units as well.

The best thing to look for is if you can use an Idatalink Maestro with your make and model car, that unit helps the car communicate with the stereo and will retain things like steering wheel controls and rear cameras.

I'm not a professional by any means but I've installed 2 different stereos in my tacoma and I've installed one in my wife's Forester along with a rear view camera in that car.

Summary, start with Crutchfield and decide what you want as far as stereo's go and then figure out what extra connection pieces you'll need.

Reactions: comptr and 7thson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.