Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
I currently own the Vaja Case for my iPhone 3G and it's becoming a pain. So i'm looking for a Good case that will protect my phone, not make it feel like a brick and comes out of my pocket easily ( some of the rubber ones are a pain to get out of a pocket.).

So what are the best cases out today?

BigWill

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
Long Beach CA
I'm using the Seidio Innocase. I've had it for about 3 months and so far it's the best one I have tried. Easy to put on/take off, doesn't interfere with my screen protector, has good grip, but doesn't hang up in my pocket, and allows good access to buttons.

... also, it is nice and thin. Doesn't make the phone feel bulky.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Which Vaja case are you using? I was thinking of getting the ivolution SP for my iPhone 3GS. Are Vaja's cases really that thick? How has your case held up?

kurt92

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
Another question on the Vaja...If you have the ivolution or the one that covers the screen, is it annoying when on the phone and texting?

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005
I have Vaja cases for my iPhone 2G and 3G and here's some thought about it after using this brand for my iphones.

On the iPhone 2G, the vaja is no doubt the best case there is. The quality is unmatched and fits snugly on the 2G iPhone.

However, on the iPhone 3G (I had the ivolution case with the front cover) I felt
the quality of the case is not as good as what it used to be on the 2G. It's still great, but it felt cheap compared to the 2G version.

About the front cover, I had it on both versions. If you flip your phone horizontal often to play games and such, it sometimes gets in the way, but I got used to it. I had the front cover because on 2G phone, I dropped my phone a couple times and the front cover protected the edge on my 2G phone. I rather have my phone protected vs the usability because I could get used to the cover.

I don't see why someone would want to spend so much on a case without the phone being somehow protected. My brother got the Vaja without the front cover on his 3G and his phone's case cracked (close to the silent switch which is not covered by the coverless ivolution case) when he dropped it last time.

One of the issues I had with the 3G iVolution case is that the front cover's clip got scratched and wears off by the sim card entrance on top of the iPhone 3G. As you may know the 3G phone is plastic and the sim card tray will scratch the front-covered ivolution case everytime you close or open it. On the iPhone 2G the phone is made of metal so it got a smooth finish on top. So my iPhone 2G Vaja case stayed as new as it could after years of usage.

But that's just a pet peeve of mine because I just don't feel good paying for a nice case to get it scratched by the phone. So, I'm still looking for a case if I were to get the 3GS.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I do not have an iPhone, but I have heard amazing things from people who have used the Switcheasy CapsuleRebel (and the RebelSerpent) as well as the Speck CandyShell cases. But whatever you do, include a screen protector!

V4705

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
nothing is the best, something can be the best for you.
look at some youtube reviews and make your decision.

i like this reviewer: http://www.youtube.com/user/itsmemorphious

if you're looking for maximum drop protection (shock absorbing) look only at hybridize cases (combined with flexible and hard layers).

wahoo10

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
I got the SoloFx and DLO Jam Jacket, haven't decided which to keep. The solo was 25$ so if I don't like it at all, it's definitely going back. The DLO was $11 thanks to Best Buy being complete retards about pricing, it's a cool color (blue, they come in black, white, and pink also), got great reviews, and I got 3 screen protectors and a case (and the screen protectors are apparently awesome, but I rock it naked now because the screen is protected by the case going around the bezel and giving it some height). I like silicon simply because it offers some protection to falls. Also, they don't get scratched. Both have non-silicon feels to them, so they won't catch on your pocket or collect lint as much as regular silicons. I have a Malware silicon on my 2G now and LOVE it, as it has saved my phone numerous times, is a great feeling silicon (rarely dirty, and i've had both the black and blue versions), and doesn't stretch. So I'm all for silicon. Switcheasy colors is another great silicon case I've heard.

As far as hard cases, Speck Candyshell seems to be the most raved about/best protection/sexiest. Incase Slider has a lot of rave to it, but apparently scratches the heck out of the phone.

MrJT

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009

Terrible reviewer. Don't waste your time. He rambles on and on, repeats himself, is truly unorganized. He's a kid at Christmas and like a needy girl that wants attention. It's nauseating. He has 3 minutes of info in a 10 minute vid.

My favorite cases are the Slider and the Speck Candyshell. Both pretty trim and offer good protection.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Terrible reviewer. Don't waste your time. He rambles on and on, repeats himself, is truly unorganized. He's a kid at Christmas and like a needy girl that wants attention. It's nauseating. He has 3 minutes of info in a 10 minute vid.

My favorite cases are the Slider and the Speck Candyshell. Both pretty trim and offer good protection.
He is a very nice guy with good intentions, but he has no real reviewing skills or organization, his videos have been 15-25 minutes long for "unboxing" a case. I would highly suggest finding other ways of looking at cases, as the length of his videos are a real turn off. He spends way too much time on giveaways, promoting his twitter, talking about his wife/twins (not that it is a bad thing, but not needed in these videos), fooling around on distracting video effects, and so many other things not related to the case. He seems like a very nice guy, but he doesn't seem to know what he's talking about 90% of the time, and only 3 minutes spread over a 20 minute video will be about the case.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I have a speck candyshell and have used it for months. I had no issues, it offers great protection (unmatched protection IMO) but one thing its not is slim. Its like having 2 very thin cases on the phone at once. Thats why i think it offers such great protection.

So if your paranoid or just clumsy with your phone get one.

Currently i am using a iskin solo fx. I do love the case. It does not offers as much as protection as a bulky case but the soft plastic will offer some shock protection. I needed something that was a pocket case, not bulky.

The material of the iskin solo i think is the best because it does not lose shape so easy and not attract lint like silicone does. Plus offers more shock protection then a hard case. Its sort of the best of both, without having hard with soft together or a fusion case.

wahoo10

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Currently i am using a iskin solo fx. I do love the case. It does not offers as much as protection as a bulky case but the soft plastic will offer some shock protection. I needed something that was a pocket case, not bulky.

The material of the iskin solo i think is the best because it does not lose shape so easy and not attract lint like silicone does. Plus offers more shock protection then a hard case. Its sort of the best of both, without having hard with soft together or a fusion case.

I'm really excited to get mine Monday. I picked up a DLO Jam Jacket yesterday at Best Buy to hold me over till then...I really like it, so the Solo is going to have to blow it away to stay. I do like the purple though...

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Hello!!!! There have been innumerable threads over the last few weeks concerning this issue. Since the form facto is the same as the 3G - heck there have been one years worth of reviews and opinions.

stateofmind

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
The reason why a bunch of these reviewers have insanely long and useless videos is because they want to become YouTube partners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.