Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
I recently gave my 10 year old her first phone, an 8+. Long story short, she was texting some inappropriate stuff with a 13 year old boy she plays roblox with. He had her download discord in order to text her in a way he thought was more secure than text. She left her phone at home the other day and I saw their very inappropriate conversation.

She is at a different school than my younger kid, so she NEEDS a phone for her mother and I to keep in touch with her. What are my best options? Free would be ideal, but I’d happily pay to keep her safe. My first thought was to just get her a flip phone with no option for any internet connectivity, but I am open to suggestions. I’m new to iPhone relatively speaking, so I’m unsure if there is any decent child restriction available on iOS 12 itself.

Thanks!

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
iOS 12 has restrictions you can enable in screen time. You can limit how much or what apps or sites can be accessed. You can disable downloading new apps from the AppStore as well. You can’t see what they are doing in apps

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Look into Mobicip. Not sure how much detail it'll give about texts but they recently upgraded to a VPN solution which seems very good. Free for one device.

Reactions: tonybarnaby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.