Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
So I *think*, after much toil, I have found the best possible USB speakers that work just like 'normal' computer speakers for the mac. I guess this could have been posted anywhere, but I'm really particularly interested in what Mac Pros (and particularly audio pros) think the best speakers you can get for your computer are.

(1) Current best option. So the best speakers you can buy now are probably the KEF LSX 2s. They have a usb port and can be used just like regular computer speakers.

(2) GOAT best option. But the true best speakers you can get, IMO, are the KEF LS50 wireless 1. Unfortunately you cannot get these anymore, unobtanium, except maybe used. The KEF LS50 Wireless 2 are probably better in every way, except, they do not have a USB port to let you plug in directly. They are truly incredible speakers and punch way way way above their weight/size.

That said, on the mac there is one caveat, you must still use the KEF Connect app to 'set up' the speakers and specify if they are up against the wall or on your desk, and make those settings as they will dramatically affect the quality of the audio. And second, you must run the apple Audio Midi Setup.app and in there, find the KEF's and max out the settings to be 2ch 24-bit 192khz output (for the LS50W1), so as to reduce resampling.

I have tried many other options, for the desk, but have not come upon anything that was better right on my desk. Curious what others think or have found for your setups and what you love.

Reactions: blackquartz

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 16.18.17.png
Hello ZombiePhysicist, Nice set of speakers youve got. A couple of months ago I just went for a couple of Audioengine A2+ and they are rather nice. Of course the price point is far less than the KEF but I guess you are in a whole other league in the sound department.

In my case these sound great and were hassle free to install and use. Im looking to add the subwoofer to the set.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
View attachment 2326488 Hello ZombiePhysicist, Nice set of speakers youve got. A couple of months ago I just went for a couple of Audioengine A2+ and they are rather nice. Of course the price point is far less than the KEF but I guess you are in a whole other league in the sound department.

In my case these sound great and were hassle free to install and use. Im looking to add the subwoofer to the set.

I’ve had those speakers. Very nice. And so is your set up! Thanks for the data point.

Btw the midi app tip holds for them too. Mac OS defaults to a lower bit rate for them too, so launch the midi app and increase their bit rate and might improve how some of your music sounds.

Reactions: blackquartz

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
I’ve had those speakers. Very nice. And so is your set up! Thanks for the data point.

Btw the midi app tip holds for them too. Mac OS defaults to a lower bit rate for them too, so launch the midi app and increase their bit rate and might improve how some of your music sounds.
Thanks a bunch for the tip!

helmetguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2023
you must still use the KEF Connect app to 'set up' the speakers and specify if they are up against the wall or on your desk

That's a really important point for all speakers that have a bass port on the back. Bass won't sound "correct" if they're right up against a wall, without either EQ correction (like the KEF app would be doing) or moving them at least 1m away from the wall (if possible).

max out the settings to be 2ch 24-bit 192khz output (for the LS50W1), so as to reduce resampling.
Are you only streaming Hi-Res Lossless from Apple Music (or a similar service)? I ask because setting sample rate and bit depth that high is going to resample most normal audio sources, e.g. Youtube maxes out at 48kHz 16-bit.

However Core Audio's resampler does a pretty good job at resampling without introducing audio artefacts, so sample rate/bit-depth can be left at whatever your most common audio source uses.

IMO the best computer speaker would be a subjective choice for each person, depending on their audio taste. I've heard LS50s and they're really nice, but not my "preference". Personally if I had a "KEF LS50" budget I'd be stretching for Genelec 8341As, because I'm used to (and prefer) "flat" studio monitor sound. But they don't have USB, so that's beside the point!

My favourite small/USB speakers are iLoud Micro Monitors, because I like their "true-to-source" sound and I don't mind that their bass doesn't extend that low. Crucially, they don't take up heaps of space on my desk.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
That's a really important point for all speakers that have a bass port on the back. Bass won't sound "correct" if they're right up against a wall, without either EQ correction (like the KEF app would be doing) or moving them at least 1m away from the wall (if possible).

Are you only streaming Hi-Res Lossless from Apple Music (or a similar service)? I ask because setting sample rate and bit depth that high is going to resample most normal audio sources, e.g. Youtube maxes out at 48kHz 16-bit.

However Core Audio's resampler does a pretty good job at resampling without introducing audio artefacts, so sample rate/bit-depth can be left at whatever your most common audio source uses.

IMO the best computer speaker would be a subjective choice for each person, depending on their audio taste. I've heard LS50s and they're really nice, but not my "preference". Personally if I had a "KEF LS50" budget I'd be stretching for Genelec 8341As, because I'm used to (and prefer) "flat" studio monitor sound. But they don't have USB, so that's beside the point!

My favourite small/USB speakers are iLoud Micro Monitors, because I like their "true-to-source" sound and I don't mind that their bass doesn't extend that low. Crucially, they don't take up heaps of space on my desk.

Most of my collection is lossless but at much lower bit rate (regular CDs and no way my ear is going to tell the difference between even 256 vs 384 much less full on lossless), but my experience is by not using the max rate of the KEFs is it (seems to) force another resample. So it's kind of double resample. By feeding it the max rate, it seems to play whatever you push without doing another resample. Best way to convince yourself is to try it with whatever speakers you have (assuming they are good enough) and try it with NOT the best sampled stuff, but the stuff on the margins. So like a 128khz MP3 that really can't handle an extra resample, and play it back to back and forth by changing the setting in the midi app from whatever is its default to its max rate, I think, you'll feel the 'mud' cake on the output (at least that is my experience with my KEFs).

No doubt, subjectivity plays a big part. For my part, at least the way I have the KEFs set up, they are quite neutral, and quite tight and cohesive. They are pretty true to source, although obviously bass is only going to go so far on monitors that small. I'm not a big bass person, but i really appreciate when the bass is high res, versus, kind of mud filled thump, that you can 'feel' the contour of the instrument with the bass. Also, the KEFs can lose something on the high end metal feel if you point them straight at you, you want them slightly off angle and then you get much better resolution up top, and a shockingly, for their size, wide stage. Of course you may feel completely different and I'm not an audio expert, so I may not pick up as much as your ears do.

Thanks for the heads up with the Genelec 8341As, I'm unfamiliar. But without a USB in I guess you would need DAC or I guess via ethernet, but then they don't work just like 'regular speakers' for everything else (or perhaps I'm missing something). I also check out the iLoud, I think, but didnt see the USB option, but maybe I missed it. Regardless, all cool options I was unaware of so very much appreciated data points!

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I don't use computer speakers, I have found them inadequate. Il use powered Klipsch speakers. These:

Although when I bought mine, I bought the speakers separate from the sub. They didn't bundle them back then.

I use the mic output.

Lou

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Everyone has different tastes. I have USB active speakers that suit my needs which is multiple types of ports, a usable mini remote and internal DAC 24/96.

I opted for the Peachtree M24. Digital, analogue, and optical allow me to not only connect my Mac Studio but I also can hook up my preferred streamer (NVidia Shield Pro).

Here is a nice video that gives info to tempt folks. If I did not get the Peachtree it might have been the Kanto make as they are similar.

Last edited:

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
I have the JBL 104BT. They don’t have USB but do connect via 3.5mm, RCA, and Bluetooth. For the money they are fantastic reference monitors for a small studio where space is a premium. Being reference monitors they’re not for everyone.

And that’s one of the problems with trying to find the best speakers/headphones/etc. Subjectivity plays an important factor. Hell, aesthetics even played a role when I chose the JBLs (they also reminded me of the old Roland desktop monitors I used to use twenty years ago).

If I had the budget/space, I’d probably get the KEF too.

Rimmsi

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2021
Czech Republic
I have over a decade old Bose Companion 5's and they still play amazing. Yes, they are not the best boxes for playing music, they are great for playing movies and playing games, but I am happy enough with them that. When I moved and the box with the subwoofer fell on the floor and it was destroyed, I bought a thrift store the second set.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Very happy with my Logitech z906 system (5.1 surround computer speakers). It can decode Dolby and DTS over a TosLink connection. You can also replace the satellites with something else if desired.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I have over a decade old Bose Companion 5's and they still play amazing. Yes, they are not the best boxes for playing music, they are great for playing movies and playing games, but I am happy enough with them that. When I moved and the box with the subwoofer fell on the floor and it was destroyed, I bought a thrift store the second set.
I have these and also love them but just got the Mac Studio which has weirdly broken the compatibility with them. I’m guessing it’s more the Mac OS sonoma to blame.

Either way I need to find a comparable new set. I just want them for listening to music with a good bass so another 2.1 system would be good if anyone has any recommendations? I was considering 2 home pods but I heard they have latency issues with the Mac? I will also use them for a Final Cut work but that’s more stuff for social media clips with interviews as opposed to anything high end.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
How so❓

Lou
It doesn’t play any sound. I bought a new cable as well but that doesn’t fix it either. You have to keep pulling out cable and reinserting every time for it to work and it’s not practical but also that workaround is hit and miss

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009

Hello! Im fairly uneducated regarding high resolution audio and since we last talked I've been doing some research, and if you dont mind me asking just to clarify ,Does my Mac Pro 2019 needs additional hardware like a DAC to output better sound quality? Should I use an usb cable over the audio jack? Does any of this even matter using low tier speakers as the A2 im currently rocking? Is Apple Music lossless quality enough for this experience?

I understand this audiophile conversation is like going down the rabbit hole, but I really look up to have a taste of better music quality.

thanks

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Hello! Im fairly uneducated regarding high resolution audio and since we last talked I've been doing some research, and if you dont mind me asking just to clarify ,Does my Mac Pro 2019 needs additional hardware like a DAC to output better sound quality? Should I use an usb cable over the audio jack? Does any of this even matter using low tier speakers as the A2 im currently rocking? Is Apple Music lossless quality enough for this experience?

I understand this audiophile conversation is like going down the rabbit hole, but I really look up to have a taste of better music quality.

thanks

That is a deep rabbit hole question and impossible for me to answer because it depends on how good your ears are and a bunch of other factors.

I personally feel the DAC on the mac pro is "good enough" for listening out of a pair nice reference speakers. And certainly good enough for the A2.

Different DACs can give a different 'tone' (not sure if that's the right word) to music. Come can be more flat/compressed, others more dynamic, and others can artificially skew highs or lows. Some of those differences are preferable to different people with different tastes.

Personally, I like my music to be as 'accurate' as possible, and dont want bass boost and stuff like that, that many people prefer.

There are no wrong answers.

That said, the best thing to do is go to an audio shop and plug in and listen to a few different speakers (maybe with yoru mac book). To see if your ears can pick up the difference.

I did this a while back to see at what level of compression can my ears still tell a difference and somewhere around 384kbps AAC, I just could not tell a difference (at least with the equipment I had at the time).

The tip i gave you with the MIDI tool is very pronounced at least on my KEF speakers, and makes a very palatable difference for the better. It's low hanging fruit. Once you get to some high end DACs you start to get into differences in preferences, versus just clear removal of degradation of a signal.

I personally like a USB to an active speaker set up like the KEFs because it removes many variables and you get audio out like the manufacturer wants you to do. Once you get off a digital signal, then you start introducing variable that I do not want to play with, but many others LOVE adapting such variable stock their preferences in listening style. Others will prefer a pure digital (eg optical) out. If you are not hooking it up to your computer, the advantages of USB start to go away (eg when it's a USB device on a computer, it just automatically comes up as an audio output source for the system and will work to play all your audio, even system beeps etc whereas when you plug into optical or other line out ports you might have to mess with the system to get output, and may have to deal with lag and audio/video sync issues).

Anyway, my guess is you would get more benefit form upgrading your speakers (which are very good and nice) to something better, than getting a new DAD, IMO. But others here may disagree. Would be curious on their thoughts.

Hope at least some of that made sense/helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.