Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Hi folks!

I'm looking to expand my library with games to play with my friends and my other half. The best multiplayer games (IMHO) are coop multiplayer games, of any genre, but they're relatively few and far between.

What are your favorites? I only own a Wii (Wii and Gamecube compatibility) and a PS2 (and of course, a wonderful Mac), but I'm curious as to your favorites. Most of the great games that come to mind have pretty solid single player, sometimes even fantastic multiplayer, but rarely co-op multiplayer.

jcarm24

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2005
C-Ville, VA
My room mate and I played a lot of the Conflict series (Desert Storm II and Global Terror). They're not fantastic games but fun for us. We also played some FIFA co-op soccer quite a bit. These games you can find pretty cheap now for PS2.

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
My vote for the current set o games goes to Rainbow Six Vegas whether u play 360 or PS3. My fav all time is Halo 1 - we got that warthog in places that dumbfound people to this day. Obviously I can't wait till 4player Halo3 Co-op.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
The GRAW's, R6V, or GoW... but you can't beat a tactical shooter with a squad full of mates. Brilliant experience. As long as one of you doesn't decide to go "lone wolf" everytime.....

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Mario Strikers Charged...vs or Co-Op it will be fun.

Star Wars Battle Front 2(PS2)

Contra 3 Alien Wars on Wii(VC) is lots of fun...as is Gunstar Heros.

Both Co-Op tons of fun!

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Star Wars: Rebel Strike for cube. It has the entire game of Star Wars: Rouge Leader remade for co-op in it. It's awesome.

Agilus

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Massachusetts
Super Smash Bros? Does it count?;)

It totally counts, but only if you have 3 players.

I play this with my wife and a friend (when he visits). She's not quite as good as either of us, so playing 2 vs 1 is really fun, especially when we adjust Friendly Fire on-off and suicide cost for handicap purposes.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
In its defense - Gears isn't a traditional deathmatch multiplayer shooter though like Resistance, therefore I wouldn't really expect the feature-richness of R:FoM with Gears. ;)

40 player DM does sound incredibly fun though, albeit bordering on levels of insanity in terms of all the stuff going on at once. Have you played a full server yet? I wonder how long you live before dying and having to respawn with 39 other people running around. :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If I'm being modern and trendy I say Half Life 2 team deathmatch.

But I won't.

Streets of Rage 2. After a decade I'm still playing co-op on this and loving the friggin face off it.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Contra (two player offline is still coop)
Double Dragon
Goldeneye
Golden Axe
Guitar Hero
Twisted Metal
Time Crisis
X-Men Legends
X-Men arcade

to name a few favs. ;)

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Warcraft 3 "Burbenong" mod. It's a 4 player map, but it can be played with only 2, if each person manages 2 corners. It's a game that requires constant cooperation and balance, or it's unbeatable.

Warcrafth 3 Dota
Warcraft 3 eOta.

Warcraft 3 has about a billion mods out for it, all of which make it completely different games. The game is the best values period. IMO. :)

Here's my pics for the Wii:
-Wii Play (it's fun off and on, mainly worth it for the extra Wiimote)
-Mario Party 8
-Madden

The new Resident Evil Umbrella chronicles Wii, which will be out shortly is co-op.

Super Mario Galaxy lets 2 people play at once.

And what Coded-Dude said. :)

<]=)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh, and Halo 1. Played oh-so much on that through college. It's a crying shame that Xbox games on the 360 are broke when using the VGA cable. Everything's all squashed to the left like.

Upscaled splitscreen co-op would have been fantastic. Shame about Halo 2 really.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Isn't this thread about Co-op? :confused::confused:
Picture 1.png

EDIT: I don't think we are talking about the same thing, I am talking about co-op in the sense of playing Gears actual game (the one you play in single player) in a cooperative mode.

I'm sorry but it has to be said, Resistance runs circles around GeOW's online capabilities. :p ;)

40 players no lag no framedrops more carnage bigger levels

'nuf said :p

Ed

Lies

Ed H i think you are thinking of online multiplayer (a la COD2, Halo, Resistance, most FPS online- deathmatch, team deathmatch, capture the flag, etc). I'm talking about multiplayer cooperative, like that seen in games like Gears of War and Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Rainbow 6 Vegas, or Resistance, you cannot beat a 40 person online deathmatch :)

Ed

64 players on Source games. There's a French HL2: Deathmatch server with a fantastic ping. Fun, but I find anything more than 16 on a good sized map and things get a little crowded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.