Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arbaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Norway
I am looking for a decent dicionary/thesaurus app for my iPhone. I am only interested in british english, or at least an app that supports british enlish. I also need IPA transcription and search.

any advise?

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
I've an interest in this as well but have found that as the OED isn't available (or Collins), all current offerings have a decidedly American slant, and can therefore be considered NBG.

jstanier

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Brighton, England.
I was always surprised that Apple didn't provide a version of the dictionary application on OS X as it's very good. It only appears to be 10MB in my Applications folder (although whether this actually gets the content from elsewhere on the disk, I don't know) so I wondered why they didn't want to :(

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I was always surprised that Apple didn't provide a version of the dictionary application on OS X as it's very good. It only appears to be 10MB in my Applications folder (although whether this actually gets the content from elsewhere on the disk, I don't know) so I wondered why they didn't want to :(

Dictionary, Unit Converter, Translation, Flight Tracker.... ALL of these would have been logical programs or dashboard apps that would have been lovely to bring over to the iPhone. But I guess Apple never bothered, figuring the App Store could provide for these. And since most of these types of programs cost something in the app store (especially the better dictionary apps, going for as much as $25), Apple gets a nice 30% of profits. So I'm not surprised....though it IS disappointing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.