Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matdacat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2014
What's the best drawing writing app for use with a pen for ipad air? thanks

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
If you are serious about both drawing and writing, you're probably going to want 2 separate apps.

For drawing, the favorites are Procreate and Paper by FiftyThree. Procreate is a very full featured drawing app with all the bells and whistles meant for serious artists. Paper by FiftyThree is a very well-designed but much simpler app meant to recreate the experience of drawing on paper, meaning it has fewer features but the user experience is excellent.

For handwriting, the top 2 apps based on my research and personal use are GoodNotes and Notes Plus.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
If your drawing isn't too artsy but more like doodling and illustrating your hand written notes, I'd recommend you Noteshelf as the one and only app you'd need for both drawing and writing.
Mainly because of it's extended tool palette where you can find pens, markers but also pencils. And they're all really good in giving you a realistic feeling.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Noteshelf is great. Definitely recommend it for both things.

I have Sketchbook Pro. It's not very good out of the box, you have to play with the pen/brush settings to get something you like. Paper is better in that regard, it just works better with a stylus compared to it. I've never used Procreate though as I'm very well invested into the Autodesk ecosystem.

I like Notes Plus too, I like that you can put it in fullscreen which is a huge advantage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.