Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrandMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what the ideal encoder to go from DV to DVD was. I've been told that Compressor (2) is feeble in MPEG2 compression. I currently use Toast 7, and the results seem fine to me, but I think that I can't use the files in DVD Studio Pro ; they are directly burned to disk.

What do you guys think?

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
GrandMan said:
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what the ideal encoder to go from DV to DVD was. I've been told that Compressor (2) is feeble in MPEG2 compression. I currently use Toast 7, and the results seem fine to me, but I think that I can't use the files in DVD Studio Pro ; they are directly burned to disk.

What do you guys think?

it would interest me, what you mean by compressor being "feeble".

i have used compressor to create mpeg2 and everything worked out all the time. well, i don't crunch a lot of video (mb and/or gb wise), so i am sure results can vary.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i used to use iDVD 5 to convert anything into Mpeg 2 , just dropped it into iDVD let it background encode and then just take it out of the folder it saved them in

simple fast and free - iDVD 6 will not do this AFAIK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.