Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Android3011

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Anybody have any recommendations? I want a good pair of earbuds that I can work out with and will not break after 2 months. I would like to stay under $100 too.

I have read a lot of reviews and it seems that all the good quality sound earbuds break after 2 months. Any recommendations? Thanks!

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
Anybody have any recommendations? I want a good pair of earbuds that I can work out with and will not break after 2 months. I would like to stay under $100 too.

I have read a lot of reviews and it seems that all the good quality sound earbuds break after 2 months. Any recommendations? Thanks!

These are great! Only $49 too. You could always get two. :D On head-fi.org forums people said in reviews that they were the best sounding you could get for under $180. I just ordered them. Will post back in a few days to tell you how they are when they arrive. PM me then if you can because I'll probably forget.

velvetelvis

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
i personally like the apple headphones. not the pieces of junk that come with it, the in ear ones.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
In Ear Buds

I will second the "in ear" bud. The new ones that just came out. They work great and stay in my ears.

ruskiwi

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
Nelson, NZ
V-Moda Vibe earbuds - sound great! Good range of colors and some special deals on Amazon. Check the reviews to see what others think, but I love mine.

Android3011

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
These are great! Only $49 too. You could always get two. :D On head-fi.org forums people said in reviews that they were the best sounding you could get for under $180. I just ordered them. Will post back in a few days to tell you how they are when they arrive. PM me then if you can because I'll probably forget.

I must be missing something, but which ones do you recommend?

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
V-Moda Vibe earbuds - sound great! Good range of colors and some special deals on Amazon. Check the reviews to see what others think, but I love mine.

I loved mine too when I first got them. However, after sending in my 4th pair within a year for replacement because the right earbud starts cutting in and out is an issue that has me stearing away from Vmoda this days. Plenty have complained that the vmoda's don't sound all that great. I don't share this opinion, I think they sound fine for my needs. But I can't take them breaking every 3 or 4 months and having to wait 2 to 3 weeks for vmoda to send me a new set. I just sent in my last pair, am awaiting replacement, and will be placing them on ebay in hopes of getting enough funds to purchase the apple in ear headphones.

michaelgettys

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2009
I got the new in ear headphones from apple. I like them. The bass is pretty good. I did have a problem with them. The right earbud just stopped working. I took them into an apple store and they just gave me new ones. The other advantage is the mic works and u can still click to change songs like u can on he ones that come with the iPhone

Android3011

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
I got the new in ear headphones from apple. I like them. The bass is pretty good. I did have a problem with them. The right earbud just stopped working. I took them into an apple store and they just gave me new ones. The other advantage is the mic works and u can still click to change songs like u can on he ones that come with the iPhone

are they compatible with the iPhone?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA850G/A

at the bottom it does not list the iPhone as compatible.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
I must be missing something, but which ones do you recommend?

Sorry! Forgot to link it. It was supposed to link to the word "this". Here you go! Again, sorry for any confusion. These really are great. I received them yesterday. It includes small, medium, and large silicone tips and foam tips. I personally use either the medium or foam. It sounds great too. Like I said, definitely the best value. The company, though unheard of to the average consumer, makes a lot of other sound products. Never tried them, though, because I'm not really a sound freak.

Also, I've tried the In Ear, and NuForce NE-7M are definitely miles better. I know most people will recommend the In Ear because it is the most widely known because Apple makes them. Because of that, I wanted to stand out and have better sound quality.

are they compatible with the iPhone?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA850G/A

at the bottom it does not list the iPhone as compatible.

These also have the "Works with iPhone" logo on the box so they are certified by Apple to work.

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
I've heard that the Zagg Z.buds were re-vamped to be more durable than the original units (such as those in my review below). They may be worth looking into as well - I still love the sound in mine and have not had any issues with them breaking.

Mike

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
+1 for the Apple in-ears

They're MUCH better than the stock ear buds and the controls work great (except for the volume). The fit is much better though the right ear isn't staying put as well as the left, but maybe I have different sized ear canals??? lol. Sound is decent for the average listener.

I did, however, experience some "shock" the other day. My old Vmodas used to shock me all the time and I got rid of them. it's only happened a couple times with the Apple buds. Anyone know why that happens?

Anyway, I've also just ordered the NuForce w/ iPhone controls. I hear they work wonderfully. Will post more on the comparison between the two later.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

E3BK said:
They're MUCH better than the stock ear buds and the controls work great (except for the volume). The fit is much better though the right ear isn't staying put as well as the left, but maybe I have different sized ear canals??? lol. Sound is decent for the average listener.

I did, however, experience some "shock" the other day. My old Vmodas used to shock me all the time and I got rid of them. it's only happened a couple times with the Apple buds. Anyone know why that happens?

Anyway, I've also just ordered the NuForce w/ iPhone controls. I hear they work wonderfully. Will post more on the comparison between the two later.

Nice! I know you are going to love them. Keep us posted!

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Apple In-Ears vs NuForce NE-7M

I wanted to post an update to this. I've had my Apple in-ears & the NuForce in-ears for a while now so I wanted to share my thoughts.

Now, I'm no audiophile so don't expect a technical review. Just an average listener I guess.

I have to say first that the Apple in-ears are MILES above the stock that come w/ the iPhone. They work great except for volume control which we already knew didn't work for iPhones. They are very comfortable and I could wear them for hours. They also sound much better that the stocks and best of all, stay put even when I went running. I really did enjoy them and could have been perfectly happy with them.

But...I love to try new electronics so I also got the Nuforce in-ears. In comparison (same song, same volume level) the Nuforce do sound better. I can't get all technical with the description but basically, the Apple's sound just slightly muffled next to the Nuforce. Not by much but enough to notice after listening to a few songs switching back and forth between the two for each song. The Nuforce also block sound out better at a lower level. Nuforce do not have any volume control either.

But the Apple's are also just slightly more comfortable. Not that the NuForce aren't comfortable but the Apple in ears feel softer. If you remove the tips off both, you can clearly see that this part on the NF are larger in circumference so the Apple's have more "padding". I have small ears so I think this part is subjective. But this probably also contributes to the sound quality of the NF's over the Apple's The Nuforce come w/ 3 sizes of ear tips & a pair of foam ones.

The controls are a little stiff on the Nuforce probably just need a little breaking in period but the Apple's didn't need that. More often than not, if I click twice on the NF to skip to the next song and it will pause then start a song again instead of skipping ahead. So sometimes I have to click 3 times to skip and then it pauses the next song. Kind of frustrating since I never had this issue w/ the Apples. But hopefully the controls will loosen w/ use.

The mic works fine on both...I mean no one had any problems hearing me on either.

Summary:

Sound - Nuforce
Controls - Apple
Comfort - Apple (for me at least. small ears)
Price - Nuforce ($30 cheaper at $49)
Mic - tie
Planes/extended wear - Apple
Daily/subway w/ lots of noise - Nuforce

I like them both so I guess I can go back and forth and have a spare. I can keep one in my purse at all times just in case I forget to grab the pair off the table when I run out of the house. I've done that a few times and dreaded my subway commute :p.

Hope that's helpful for those looking for a good pair of in-ears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.