Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefanatic

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Hey guys, I'm really suearching for a pair of earphones that stay in my ear, are comfortable and pretty cheap. The sound just has to be good, I'm not too critical on that. Any suggestions? It also doesn't have to have a mic. I know people reccomend the sennhiser, are they good? Thanks in advance!!

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Sennhiser's are good. I have a cheap pair of Skullcandy's that are decent for a low cost option as well as a pair of Sony's.

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
For listening to music while walking, I actually have a wired cell phone headset (I soldered a 3.5mm plug onto it) that goes over one ear, combined with a Griffin SmartTalk so I have a button to change songs.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have found all in-ears never stay in … right up until I figured out I could have different sized ear canals. I use a medium on one and large on the other. For that, I have M-audios ... they're pretty good. Vmoda sound decent enough but they seem to break easily. I am getting apple in-ears later this week.

TSC

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2009
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I have seemingly odd ears so one of the primary concerns for me when purchasing headphones is how they fit in the ear. Two brands, two very different prices:

1) Philips Earhook Headphones SHS3200/00. I have had two pairs of these, both of which had a nice, crisp sound which was quite rich in bass. The major problem I found was that the wire connections (to the jack and to the phones themselves) were prone to becoming loose, meaning that the sound would cut out and become very unreliable. I would say these have a 6 month shelf life with daily use. Roughly £10.00

2) Bang & Olufsen A8. Simply amazing and worth the £100.00 they cost. Perfect crisp sound provides for a fantastic music experience - they truly improve your songs, making them clearer, sharper and more enjoyable. They made my collection sound new again! If you have a birthday coming up or you want to treat yourself (do it) then you should seriously consider buying these. They are also adjustable and very light in weight meaning a near perfect, comfortable fit.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con..._00_GB_CONSUMER/Earhook-Headphones+SHS3200-00

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/earphones

Hope this helps!

iphonefanatic

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Thanks guys,

So is the consensus that the vmodas dont work? And Its me morphious just revewied some Lanntek Sonix. Any reviews?

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
I use my Zagg z.buds in the (stupidly named) "hangin' tight" configuration where they drape around my neck and thus don't put any cable weight on the earbuds themselves. Doing this, I've never had any issues with the buds losing their fit or popping-out.

wahoo10

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Are the sennheiser cx300 compatibale with the iphone 3g?

I think so. I have a pair of sennheisers that have a microphone/button for controlling the iPod/calls, and i LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I'm really anal about earphones, but these are superb. They're about $120, but I found them on Amazon for $60 (sale at the time). They work flawlessly with the iPod part, and I've never had a problem with using the microphone portion. The callers on the other end always hear me perfectly well. The only "downside" is that they block out outside noise EXTREMELY well. I used them on an airplane at medium setting and barely heard the engines (and I had an over-wing seat too on a quad-engine A340...those things hum!). When making a call, I can only have one earbud in (the one with the microphone, obviously haha) because I can't hear myself well with both in. The cord is a perfect length too; I had Sonys that I either had a too short cord or had to use the extension, which was too ridiculously long. They come with three earsizes too: I use the smallest and they fit perfectly. They silicon is extremely soft and comfortable and molding, and I can have them in for hours without discomfort, and are easy to clean.
All in all, 4.5/5 stars. Missing the .5 because I'm sure there are better sound quality ones out there, I just don't have 300$ :p

Here's the amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-iP...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244661109&sr=8-1

jersey

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
I very much enjoy my NuForce NE-7M. Huge upgrade over the Apple ones, they stay in my ears (in fact I have to pull them out), and they sound really good.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
The Vmodas work great for me. I bought them about a year ago and they haven't broken and I love the sound. I wrap them up around my ipod when I'm not using them and just toss them around in a bag too, so it's not like I baby them to make sure they don't break. They are a little bass heavy compared to most other brands, but for the music I listen to, I like it. For $30, I don't think they can be beat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.