Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
What are some of the best (quality, convenience- NOT price/value) removable storage solutions for carrying a library of iTunes Movies/TV shows? I have noticed that a few Mophie and other brands make cases that expand the memory, but I don't want to compromise the slim form of the iPad (or even my iPhone) by using such a case. Is there something like a USB drive or something I can keep in a pocket of my laptop bag that allows me to keep a selection of iTunes purchases on hand, that I can plug into my iPhone 6 plus or iPad Air 2 as needed, whenever I find myself on a long train ride or something?

** By the way, I've seen the GoFlex by Seagate, but I'm looking (hoping) for a smaller USB-size solution if there is one out there....

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
Sparksd, you just cost me $200. EXACTLY what I was looking for- I'm getting the Sandisk one. I can't believe I didn't see this before... they must not have been out too terribly long...? Thanks a lot! :D

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Sparksd, you just cost me $200. EXACTLY what I was looking for- I'm getting the Sandisk one. I can't believe I didn't see this before... they must not have been out too terribly long...? Thanks a lot! :D

What made you choose the SanDisk over the Leaf (just curious)? Cost? And report back with a review once you try it - I'm interested in these, too.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Um...guys? If you're on iOS 8+, and using movies/shows purchased from iTunes, you may have a problem:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/d...-or-rented-from-itunes-will-not-play-in-ios-8

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6791063?start=0&tstart=0

As I understand it, the DRM Apple now uses for iTunes video means that they won't work on iOS with ANY flash drive. You'll see people howling about it in the reviews typically, and the listings for most external drives targeted at iPads/iPhones now mention the issue.

If there's word that's changed, please let me know. It was still in effect last month.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Um...guys? If you're on iOS 8+, and using movies/shows purchased from iTunes, you may have a problem:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/d...-or-rented-from-itunes-will-not-play-in-ios-8

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6791063?start=0&tstart=0

As I understand it, the DRM Apple now uses for iTunes video means that they won't work on iOS with ANY flash drive. You'll see people howling about it in the reviews typically, and the listings for most external drives targeted at iPads/iPhones now mention the issue.

If there's word that's changed, please let me know. It was still in effect last month.

You are correct! I completely whiffed on the iTunes element in the OP's post - I stream mp4's sourced otherwise (e.g., GoPro).

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
You are correct! I completely whiffed on the iTunes element in the OP's post - I stream mp4's sourced otherwise (e.g., GoPro).

Well, and iTunes movies still work on non iOS 8 devices. Some people haven't updated for various reasons--I have older devices on versions of 5, 6, and 7 in the house. :D

But yeah, the new restrictions iTunes movies with on iOS 8 are hugely irritating. I'm trying to decide what to do about them myself; right now, there's no point for me in carrying a drive to stream wirelessly (or even plug in via lightning) if I can't play movies from it, yet the only time I need that kind of entertainment is when I'm traveling. I don't want to fill up my iPad storage with stuff I only use once in a while, nor do I want to have to remember to sync it onto and off the device.

I think Apple assumes the obvious solution is to buy a bigger iPad. To me, the actual obvious solution is to stop buying movies from iTunes.

Reactions: crjackson2134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.