Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonchild_n7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Does anyone have any recommendations for affordable external webcams specifically for video chats in Discord?

I bought a cheap one off Amazon a few months back which works okay outside of Discord but as soon as i'm in a call with friends with multiple cameras going mine completely lags out/is delayed and sometimes just shuts off. I've tried messing around with the settings in Discord but the camera itself doesn't have anything. I have pretty fast internet as well so I don't think its a wifi problem. I have no idea if this is just the result of a cheap camera or if its just Discord itself not working great on a mac? but figured it was worth trying a different camera.

If anyone has any help or advice it would be very much appreciated! I've tried googling but most articles I find never mention Discord, only Zoom or Skype which I don't use.

Am UK based for reference, thanks!

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I don't use Discord, but Wifi can be at the root of many camera streaming issues. Is it possible to connect via ethernet cable to the router?

I use a 4K camera as a webcam, and with an ethernet connection, almost never have any issues with drop frames, stalls, or other issues I have experienced when on Wifi.

moonchild_n7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I don't think its my Wifi since I have pretty good internet (I'm usually between 150/180mbps download speed with 29mbps upload) plus the built in webcam has zero issues with lag. Its literally only when I try using the external one =( I have read online the discord app on desktop maybe can't handle streaming so I might switch to the browser version and see but I don't have high hopes. I just want to be able to use my webcam for a weekly DnD game haha

moonchild_n7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I don't use Discord, but Wifi can be at the root of many camera streaming issues. Is it possible to connect via ethernet cable to the router?

I use a 4K camera as a webcam, and with an ethernet connection, almost never have any issues with drop frames, stalls, or other issues I have experienced when on Wifi.
I don't think its my Wifi since I have pretty good internet (I'm usually between 150/180mbps download speed with 29mbps upload) plus the built in webcam has zero issues with lag. Its literally only when I try using the external one =( I have read online the discord app on desktop maybe can't handle streaming so I might switch to the browser version and see but I don't have high hopes. I just want to be able to use my webcam for a weekly DnD game haha

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
There is an app called camo, which can make your phone act as webcam. I have no experience with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.