Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
I've almost bought an Apple Watch a few times just for the fitness features, but I genuinely don't need any of the functionality of a smartwatch. I also can't bring myself to replace wearing my mechanical watches.

I just need a simple fitness tracker – a minimal, non-descript, thin band to wear on my right wrist that won't look too out of place with a traditional wristwatch on my left.

I would prefer if it doesn't have any screen at all. I just need it to seamlessly link to my iPhone which would act as my only point of interaction.

My primary methods of working out are swimming, cycling and weight training.

Would love any recommendations!

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
The options without a screen are limited. I know two but have no idea how good they are.

One is the Oura ring, the other is the whoop strap.

whoop strap

Oura ring

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I was aware of the Whoop Band already but not of the Oura Ring.

Unfortunately they both work on a monthly subscription models which I just can't do anymore 😕 I would rather pay far more for both devices upfront than what they retail for instead of going monthly payment route.

Its such a shame that the no-screen fitness tracker market is absolutely dead in the water. Fitbit was the last big company who used to have some fantastic options but Google killed those too after they acquired the company.

I guess it was inevitable though. The demographic for those who want fitness tracking but also want to wear traditional wristwatches must be a microscopic niche in the market.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.