Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Since having Catalina (now at 10.15.2) my Time Capsule/Time Machine does not backup. Ive ready many similar situations and yes I have waited like 24 hours....and gotten mixed results....(was bearly working). I then reformatted my computer and got some files back using Migration Assistant afterwards from the Time Capsule.

Now I am using Catalina 10.15.2 format with APFS encrypted.

The Time Capsule is not known which format.......ive read somewhere that if I was to reformat it don't use APFS or something? It doesn't show up in Disk Utility......I see the disk in Airport Utility but it doesn't show how it is correctly formatted.

Is there a combination that might fix this? As of now the Time Capsule just stays saying "preparing backup" and never will get past that ...trust me its been like that for a week.

Thanks ....I'd like to clean this up and get a fresh backup soon. It's scaring me. =)

Attached is just a pic of my disk utility settings....which I think are correct?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.40.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.40.05 PM.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 348

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I assume your Time Capsule drive is external? Is it a spinning disk or SSD? Generally you'd format an external drive as Mac OS Extended, not APFS. But the drive isn't showing in your Disk Utility so that's the main problem. Or is it? Your screenshot cuts off external drives.
What you are seeing in the screenshot is your boot drive in the standard Catalina configuration. It is normal.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
No it doesn't show in Disk Utility but from what I've read that is normal. It shows in Airport Utility. It is not a ssd drive though...

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
oh I'm sorry, it's a network drive. OK that makes sense. Just use Mac OS Extended and away you go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.