Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
It's really, really old, doesn't run on an Intel machine, heck, doesn't even run on Mac OS X, and looks rather dated these days, but as far as 'Best game for Mac?' goes, I'd still have to go for Deus Ex.

Other really nice games are the last two Myst titles: Myst IV and Myst V.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I would say Warcraft 3: Reign Of Chaos, with Frozen Throne expansion pack.
They are both pretty old, you should be able to get them really cheap. They are also both universal and on your machine will run amazingly fast with all the options turned all the way up, as it runs OK on my 867MHz PowerBook. :eek:

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Try out this free standalone game

http://tremulous.net/

It looks to be a mix between RTS and FPS. I've yet to get into it much, but it's worth a shot, may not be the best but it's free and most people who try it like it.

sthpark7791

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2006
I downloaded the Age of Empires 3 demo and I love it! Only problem is that I'm too cheap right now to go out and spend $40 on the real thing :eek:

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
Unreal Tournament 2004. Incredible

If I was only allowed to have 1 game it would be a tough call between Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004. I feel that UT has the better game play plus loads of mods and stuff you can download. Once you find a good server you an loose days of your life.

UT2004 does have the added extra of vehicles and a more varied choice of game. In the end I would choose UT because most of my friends play it.
:)

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Warcraft 3 is awesome, dirt cheap (I saw the expansion for 5 bucks at a target and the full game for 30$), is a Mac/PC game on the same disc, is a universal binary and runs great on any Mac from 2000 or earlier.

The graphics in WC3 are pretty good actually for their age,

ericsthename

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2005
Vancouver BC
Unreal Tournament 2004. Incredible

If I was only allowed to have 1 game it would be a tough call between Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004. I feel that UT has the better game play plus loads of mods and stuff you can download. Once you find a good server you an loose days of your life.

UT2004 does have the added extra of vehicles and a more varied choice of game. In the end I would choose UT because most of my friends play it.

I'll third the Unreal Tournament series. However, seeing as how the OP has an intel mac, I'll suggest 2004.

UT 2004 posts some of the best built mac games, with much much better framerates than Halo, and better graphics to boot. The gameplay is quite frantic, but the single player campaign is good practice before jumping into online...

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Warcraft 3.

Free BattleNet and mods like Dota make it easilly the best Mac games ever made. WC3 is an excellent RTS and with the billions of mods it seems, it's an excellent every kind of game.

<]=)

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio

I second the nod for UT, only problem is, you need to be able to boot OS 9. I tried the patch for OS X, what a joke. I bought UT GOTY edition, it was the last game I bought for the computer. I've played UT04, too much eye candy, the weapons suck, the first person perspective is weird, plus I don't know anybody that plays it; they all play UT. The maps, the skins, the mods are all there for UT. Best FPS game ever, period.

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
I second the nod for UT, only problem is, you need to be able to boot OS 9. I tried the patch for OS X, what a joke. I bought UT GOTY edition, it was the last game I bought for the computer. I've played UT04, too much eye candy, the weapons suck, the first person perspective is weird, plus I don't know anybody that plays it; they all play UT. The maps, the skins, the mods are all there for UT. Best FPS game ever, period.

I am running UT natively is OS10.4 with no problems, loads of Mods and skins and it works great on both PPC and Intel Macs.

I’ll try and find the link for the patch.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12059

I think this is the one, just make sure that your UT is the correct build. :)

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
I am running UT natively is OS10.4 with no problems, loads of Mods and skins and it works great on both PPC and Intel Macs.

I’ll try and find the link for the patch.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12059

I think this is the one, just make sure that your UT is the correct build. :)

I have v436, when I tried it on the eMac, I had a big black square appear in the game, which also left a series of trailing black squares when moving. Game play was ok trying to look past this obstruction. I just don't care for programs that were coded or ported to OS 9 and then have to use patches or Classic to run them. I only play UT on B/W G3 since it boots OS 9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.