Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
When it comes to 360 controllers, will both the 360 version and the Windows version work on a Mac . . . ?

I'm assuming that the Windows version won't need any drivers and will be more compatible.

All versions of the gamepad (Xbox 360/PC & Wireless/Wired) will work but they all require drivers (the drivers are open source on the Mac and have a few side effects/bugs). The wireless 360 pad does not use Bluetooth instead it has it's own special proprietary frequency which requires a special Microsoft dongle. This means the wireless version of the pad requires you to buy the USB 360 wireless dongle as well as installing the drivers.

Microsoft do not offer Mac drivers so the only option is the open source ones I mentioned above which sometimes have compatibility issues on some peoples Mac machines.

No versions of the XBox 360 gamepad will work on Mac (or Windows) without installing special drivers first.

Hope that clears up any questions on the 360 pad on the Mac.

Cheers,

Edwin

Reea

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
PS 3 works with mac

hi, just thought I'd post some of my experience.
I actually followed all the instructions and was quite frustrated when the controller appeared among the bluetooth devices as connected, but not paired and apparently didn't work.
But. I then installed a gamepad companion and programmed the controller's buttons. it is easy: you push a button of a controller, it appears as button #6, for example (button #6 is right arrow in mine) or button #5 or z axis or whatever. then you assign a specific key, key combination or mouse click or movement to it.
now, the controller works perfectly.
if you have the same case, the device is connected via bluetooth but doesn't work, see if you need to program the buttons, maybe they're just all blank, like in my case
BTW, the controller is still not paired, only connected. It works with Trine so far, haven't tried with others. this gamepad companion appears to allow storing different mapping schemes, so it could be that for different games one will have to save different schemes

PrinceValium

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2011
I was trying to get the PS3 controller to work with COD4 as well. I do have a spare 360 wireless controller to use if I have to. The Gamepad companion...will it work with COD4?? It is a pain in the neck starting PC games being used to a controller, and then having to use the mouse. i will look into the gamepad controller because it would suck to have paid for this game in the app store and not pay it well because I suck with the mouse and keyboard!

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
It will work. Basically what it does is have you program the buttons and keys used on the mouse/keyboard and map them to the controller. So it will take a few minutes to setup the controls.

aruseman

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
Well, I may have spoken too soon. This solution does appear to work consistently; however, when I reboot my machine and try to pair the controllers, I'm presented with the same pairing dialog box.

It's definitely the best solution available, but it looks like we'll need to repeat these steps after each reboot.

Hi,

I just figured out how to use the PS3 controller in Lion, via bluetooth, no need for 3rd party drivers, same way like it was in Snow.

It has not to be paired, just *configured* and *added to favorites* devices under bluetooth pref pane.

In order to do that,

1) plug the pad using the usb cable, unplug it.
2) don't care about the pairing request
3)Open Bluetooth Preferences (you have ~15 sec)
4)select the ("connected" and "configured" but not "paired") "Playstation3 controller"
5)add it to favorites

6) disconnect the controller from Bluetooth menu bar

7) push the PSX button on the controller, it will connect and you are ready to play.

Tested on 10.7.2 1nd 10.7.3 on MacBookAir 2011 and MacMini Server 2011

For some reason, previously (Snow or 10.7.1, can't test now) it was automatically added to the fav. devices. and not asking the pairing code, that's why the procedure broke updating the OS.

Last edited:

madhatter14641

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
Hi,

I just figured out how to use the PS3 controller in Lion, via bluetooth, no need for 3rd party drivers, same way like it was in Snow.

It has not to be paired, just *configured* and *added to favorites* devices under bluetooth pref pane.

In order to do that,

1) plug the pad using the usb cable, unplug it.
2) don't care about the pairing request
3)Open Bluetooth Preferences (you have ~15 sec)
4)select the ("connected" and "configured" but not "paired") "Playstation3 controller"
5)add it to favorites

6) disconnect the controller from Bluetooth menu bar

7) push the PSX button on the controller, it will connect and you are ready to play.

Tested on 10.7.2 1nd 10.7.3 on MacBookAir 2011 and MacMini Server 2011

For some reason, previously (Snow or 10.7.1, can't test now) it was automatically added to the fav. devices. and not asking the pairing code, that's why the procedure broke updating the OS.

I was able to make this work, but I had to enter "0000" as the passcode when it asked for one (right before step 3).

For those of you who are having a hard time finding the "add to favorites" button, you can find it by clicking on the gear in the bottom left corner of the bluetooth preferences pane.

Good luck!

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
I'm using some generic USB Mad Catz controller. I originally bought it for my PC a few years back. I forget the name, but it's black and has analog/digital sticks, multiple buttons, etc. It has rumble as well. It looks like a PS3/360 controller. It works perfectly in Lion and I used it with the Virtual ][ Apple IIe emulator. I had fun playing Lode Runner for a while. :)

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Sorry if this is an obvious question for avid gamers but:

1. How does the Wireless PS3 controller charge? (Conventional batteries or internal lithium)
2. Does it charge via USB? If so would I have to purchase that USB separately and would it charge on the computer?

Thanks. I'm only familiar with XBOX controllers and I haven't ever played PS3, but like the idea of wireless functionality on a gamepad.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Sorry if this is an obvious question for avid gamers but:

1. How does the Wireless PS3 controller charge? (Conventional batteries or internal lithium)
2. Does it charge via USB? If so would I have to purchase that USB separately and would it charge on the computer?

Thanks. I'm only familiar with XBOX controllers and I haven't ever played PS3, but like the idea of wireless functionality on a gamepad.

1. It has built in batteries.
2. Yes it charges via USB using a standard USB to mini USB cable (same as most none Apple mobile phones).

I've seen this one coming up in Search for me again and again -- is this the preferred preferred 360 controller driver installer? Not getting any love from it and wondered if there were others :confused:

That's the only place that works well from what I know. It is the one we use in the QA at Feral.

Edwin

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
1. It has built in batteries.
2. Yes it charges via USB using a standard USB to mini USB cable (same as most none Apple mobile phones).

That's the only place that works well from what I know. It is the one we use in the QA at Feral.

Edwin

Thank you for your reply. :D

stonetide

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
So I got a Dualshock 3 wireless working just fine under Snow Leopard, but I have a small hitch: the analog stick takes over the mouse pointer. Moving the mouse no longer works to move the cursor, but the mouse buttons still work, until I disconnect the controller (which I can only do by turning off the bluetooth adapter, the bluetooth button on the controller doesn't seem to work for that). Anyone else run into this? What's the fix?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I do not! Just a basic USB mouse and keyboard.

And you have not installed any mouse drivers, gamepad drivers or Gamepad companion?

I will keep an eye out but sounds like a new issue or one caused by some third party software to me.

Edwin

stonetide

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
And you have not installed any mouse drivers, gamepad drivers or Gamepad companion?

Correct. I've also used USB gamepads without this issue.

This is on a 24" iMac from some years ago. Here's the Bluetooth info I have in my system profile dealie:

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.4.5f3
Hardware Settings:
Address: 00-21-E9-D6-B9-8A
Manufacturer: Broadcom
Firmware Version: v180 c365
Bluetooth Power: Off
Discoverable: Yes
Vendor ID: 0x5ac
Product ID: 0x820f
HCI Version: 4 (0x4)
HCI Revision: 365 (0x16d)
LMP Version: 4 (0x4)
LMP Subversion: 8628 (0x21b4)
Requires Authentication: No
Services:
Bluetooth File Transfer:
Folder other devices can browse: ~/Public
Requires Authentication: Yes
State: Enabled
Bluetooth File Exchange:
Folder for accepted items: ~/Downloads
When other items are accepted: Ask
When PIM items are accepted: Ask
When receiving items: Prompt for each file
State: Enabled
Devices (Paired, Favorites, etc):
Device:
Name: PLAYSTATION(R)3Controller
Address: 34-c7-31-1f-9e-32
Type: Unknown
Firmware Version: 0x100
Services: Wireless Controller
Paired: No
Favorite: Yes
Connected: No
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (0x4, 0x1c35)
Vendor ID: 0x54c
Product ID: 0x268
Incoming Serial Ports:
Serial Port 1:
Name: Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
RFCOMM Channel: 3
Outgoing Serial Ports:
Serial Port 1:
Address:
Name: Bluetooth-Modem
RFCOMM Channel: 0

Pdizzlesticks

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Ive read through about a million forums on the ps3 controller problem and thought id add mine to the list -.-'

When i connect my controller via bluetooth it shows up as a wireless keyboard and gives me an 8 digit long number to enter obviously i cant do that cause its a controller
i managed to by pass that by changing what it does upon connect e.g some people had it set to pass code and default is 0000 i just changed mine to not prompt me with anything.

it will connect for about a minute then the controller turns off and the connection is lost .

if i connect via usb i can use GamePad companion to try and map out the keys but nothing happens only thing i can get it to do is move my mouse but i dont get to control it, it either goes up or left on its own untill its reached the side/top of my screen.

i noticed that i can push ps button on the controller wait for it to show up in bluetooth settings as a keyboard then connect my usb and it has a bluetooth symbol and will stay connected but still won't do anything.

ive done everything i can think of adding it to favourites etc but i cannot get it to work at all no game will see it but things like GamePad Companion and ControllerMate recognise it as a ps3 controller.

My only possible conclusions are i may need a certain driver because its sending data but the data isn't being read right.
Or i just have a dodgy controller

Just to clarify its an unofficial ps3 controller it has the "P3" logo instead of the playstation one and im using a 27" iMac running mountain lion (came with lion)

If anyone has had the same problems or knows of a way to fix them let me know! if i find anything out ill post back and feel free to message me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.