Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Just go the iPad Pro and thinking to try some gaming on it. I've never really enjoyed gaming on my iPhones. I don't like touch and the screen size must also be part of the reason why I always get disappointed.

But.. maybe things are better on iPad OS? Or is the experience pretty much just a scaled up version of the iPhone?

Any games you guys think are genuinely engaging and can suck you in quickly. If anything is clunky and has any sort of time investment or learning curve to get a feel for I know I'll just close the app and do something else!

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Because your question is so broad, it might help if you mention a few games or genres that you like.

Reactions: TJ82

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I liked StreetFighter V! Much easier to play than previous one. And the old Ratchet and Clank games had amazing gameplay though last time I tried one I hated it. Think I was pushed into playing multiple characters or something from the start.

Loved Diablo 3. The atmosphere was maybe a touch cartoony but it’s easy to play and addictive. Probably best endgame content was lacking or I’d not get anything done.

I used to like MMOs but find them depressing now and too much of an intentional time sink but that feeling of developing a character and then taking in a huge challenge always stuck with me as being authentically RPG, until it became super commercial and inauthentic to the point I actually can’t play and see past the cynicism.

Used to love shmups but they’re a tricky genre. Most don’t get the learning curve right and don’t have enough work put into itemisation to make you feel like you’re always progressing which is needed for average players who struggle to make the jump between difficulty levels.

I love anything moody, so survival horrors should be a win but I pretty much didn’t like any I tried in recent years. Gameplay has become over complicated for me, or is clunky and frustrating. I need pace so I don’t feel the time I’m spending which makes me want to stop and do something productive instead. And pace is usually anathema to survival horror - you need to slow down to feel suspense. Shame.

Only car game I liked was Burnout. Original one, but that was ages back. Generally not my thing. Loathe sports games. Always found them clunky. Probably better now but Id rather actually play sport in real life. I’d don’t even like watching other people play sports I enjoy in real life. Not a fan of anything, even though I’m really active.

I guess I’m a tricky customer!

Mayne something cool like that Tetris on steroids game I saw something about? Pumping music and fast button action. Wish they’d make something like the original Metroid game - genuinely thought the atmosphere was beautiful in it.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I created a list of 270+ pay once games that have MFi (made for iPadOS/iOS) controller (e.g. wireless bluetooth PS4/PS5, Xbox controllers) support in various genres: fighting, racing, flying, action, RPG, platformers, sports.
It's easiest if you use the app so you can scroll through the list (instead of tons of pages via the website) and quickly see all details and read reviews from App Store and such.

And no I'm not affiliated in any way with the app but I really love the app and that I found so many great pay once premium apps and games via it which I would have never found via the App Store itself which is so extremely focused on gems/coins/subscription based apps although there are so much great apps in the Store that aren't and deserve our attention and support those developers that actually create games that are fun to play.

Reactions: TJ82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.