Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

microbitsuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2022
what is the limit for Graphics card on a 5,1 can i use a new RX7600 in this computer or are we limited to the 6800 series ?

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
@microbitsuk
For GPUs, this depends if the OS has drivers for a specific GPU model and more important, the power draw of the GPU. Some GPUs are power-hungry that exceed the limit of the internal power supply. A Pixlas mod will be needed.

We have a WiKi on GPU compatability with the classic Mac Pro

Reactions: DrEGPU

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I do recall one member on here got the 6800XT working. Assuming you can get the power to it, I think you should be able to get a 6900XT working. Dont think you can get anything more powerful than that, basically because lack of drivers.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Unless you already run Big Sur or Monterey, the mentioned drivers requirement also means you must use Open Core as even Navi RDNA2 (6800/6900 XT) only started being supported in macOS Big Sur 11.4.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
what is the limit for Graphics card on a 5,1 can i use a new RX7600 in this computer or are we limited to the 6800 series ?

I use a RX6600XT which had to be flashed so it would work with the 5,1. I used windows on my 7,1 and an eGPU enclosure to do that.

It is faster and cooler running than the RX580 and can be powered by same cables as RX580 - no mods needed.

You could also get the W6800 Radeon Pro 32GB (blue coloured card) and flash that. It will need pixlas mod.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
My magic potion is a combination of an AMD 6800XT card out of an Alienware Aurora R13. Only this particular card comes in a two slot design because the Aurora R13 is only a Midi Tower and very cramped. Its the most compact XT card out there to my knowledge. I use this card together with a Pixlas mod cable and EVGA's Power Link. If you use Pixlas cable, you usually don't need the PowerLink as well, however it was left over from my Nvidia 980TI days in my 5.1 about 5 or 6 years ago. This way you have Slot #2 free. In terms of most speed and best Airflow for that GPU, the Ablecom dual card is the second part of this recommended configuration.

(ableconn pexm2-130 dual pcie nvme m.2 ssd adapter card - pci express 3.0 x8, supports 2x m.2 ngff pcie nvme ssd for mac & pc (asmedia asm2824 switch) - non-bifurcation motherboard compatible)

The Crest I/O dual card I have in slot #4 would work as well, however this and other 4xSDD cards are large and restrict airflow to that GPU underneath. So in terms of airflow optimum, the very small Ableconn dual card is the prime choice between speed and airflow for GPU. You can see how much space is left for the GPU in the picture.
Every other bridge card is much larger and heats up GPU.
However, what was very surprising to me, the AMD 6800XT card runs exceptionally cool and the fans stay silent for a very long time during normal office work. It is way cooler than past Vega 64 and Vega VII cards I used to have, after Apple forced all of us the NON-Nvidia path. The technical advancement between the Vega VII and the 6800 Series is substantial in therms of thermal load.
For Monetrey, this upgrade combo together with the USB2 Header Upgrade to bring back full USB functionality
is highly recommended.
On top to that, I had the GPU flashed from MacVidCards in Poland. This way its fully bootable and works great in Win10. If you go this path, you will need to us also MacVidCards recommended Version of OpenCore. Its a bit older on the Version, but it works flawless without a single hick-up. I am super happy with the current setup which gives me a lot more waiting time to watch MP 2019 price tags tumble.

Ablecom_Fastest.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 16.55.54.png

Last edited:

Russie343

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024
If I were to run windows 11 or 10, knowing that macos doesn't support any RTX cards, is it possible to put a 20, 30 or a 40 series card into the machine, running the latest drives on windows?

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
If I were to run windows 11 or 10, knowing that macos doesn't support any RTX cards, is it possible to put a 20, 30 or a 40 series card into the machine, running the latest drives on windows?
There was a time, when Nvidia CPU's have been officially supported by Apple. Those days are long gone. Back than I did have a fast 980Ti card and was very happy. In order to run those, you had to use Nvidia Web drivers that have been allowed by Apple. To my knowledge, this relationship broke apart and Apple ended any relationship with Nvidia. Since then, Metal was introduced which made the use of Nvidia GPU's impossible. When it comes to Nvidia, you have the following options:
#1 Go back in time, use an old MacOS (Maverick/ElCapitan) and use the last Web drivers. Your Power requirements have been limited. It was common to us EVGA PowerLink to stretch it a little and use a 1080Ti and the early Titan Models. This route gives a limit in terms of old MacOS and a medium Nvidia GPU of 5 years or older.
#2 Use the very latest Apple blessed Nvidia Card which was the PYN Nvidia Quadro K 5000 Mac Edition. This card is also weak compared to your mentioned cards above. However what's special about it, its the only model that Supports Metal (1) on the Nvidia side AND runs more modern MacOS software. You would still need OpenCore to have a good running system.
#3 If you don't need any MacOS on your MacPro and want to run Windows ONLY, you can install any Nvidia GPU as long as you stay underneath a certain Power limit from the PSU side of it. This is a physical constraint only.
If you want to go this route, you either use a Pixlas mod cable or you use a separate PSU just to run your GPU. Both options work to some extent and there are many examples on this forum to see how people modded their MacPro5.1 to fit their individual needs.

#1&#2 makes sense only if you are looking to run multiple Systems (Windows & MacOS, Linux..) on the same hardware.

As of 2024 and this very late in the MP5.1 Game, I would not recommend any of the above options. It is best to use a fast AMD card such as the 5700XT or W6800 and be fine with it. The Windows only route (#3) makes no sense because you can just use any usual PC platform that most likely is a lot cheaper and more open to upgrades. Why do it?
The small market segment that needed Nvidia (Cuda core performance) passed away long time ago. Those folks have moved on around 2018. Because of this, this ancient but still great MP5.1 platform only makes sense if you still want to use a fairly new MacOS with OpenCore and the occasional Windows 10 capability for CAD/3D Print or other Apps that can't rund on MacOS or Apple Silicone. Other than that, it would make no sense.

#4 The fourth category is the Enthusiast group that is nuts like me. It's a sport. It's a classic 911 of the IT Industry. It's the last and best Mac from Steve Jobs before the bean counters captured the ship. It's individuals like me, who hang out here for 15 years straight because of the great, lovely, advanced and highly intelligent people here in this forum. The finest folks ever. The Cream of the creative crop. That's us. That's MacRumors that makes a difference.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
#4 The fourth category is the Enthusiast group that is nuts like me. It's a sport. It's a classic 911 of the IT Industry. It's the last and best Mac from Steve Jobs before the bean counters captured the ship. It's individuals like me, who hang out here for 15 years straight because of the great, lovely, advanced and highly intelligent people here in this forum. The finest folks ever. The Cream of the creative crop. That's us. That's MacRumors that makes a difference.

And playing this sport requires not only knowledge and skill, but also the willingness to take risk, do research, practice, etc...

Reactions: AlexMaximus

Russie343

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024
Thanks for your input! I will be sure to check out the"Pixlas cable mod". People like you make these forums great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.