Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ronnieroo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2021
HI Everyone, I purchase a 7.1 8 core 48 GB ram in the summer to replace my now back up machine 2012 12 core 96 GB ram with a Nvidia 1080 8GB graphics card. The new machine has a AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB but I'm finding that it doesn't handle illustrator files as well as the 1080 eg. on occasion I might find some fine white lines on screen when I zoom in on something or part of the image might be missing/ glitches, easily resolve by zooming out / back in again. Issues I never had on the older machine. I do have illustrator optimised and work in outline mode frequently but wondering if I'd be better upgrading to a AMD Pro Vega II or a W6800X. I'm an illustrator working mainly with Illustrator and sometimes I can be working on rather large 50/60mb Illustrator files. I also work in photoshop but so far that is fine.
Any advice much appreciated.
thanks

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
W5700X should be more than enough for this task. There must be something else going on.

Does turning off GPU support in Illustrator help with anything?

Ronnieroo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2021
I'll try that and see over the next while, maybe revert to an earlier version of Illustrator and see if that makes a difference.
thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.