Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
Hi. Just wondering if the Sonic Port is still the best option or if there are any cheaper options. Also, do they support usb-c for the iPad Pro 2018?

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
You might want to also consider the iRig HD 2 (not the original iRig that plugged into the headphone port). I've been using it for a few months and am really happy with it. It's around the same price as the Sonic Port but it was on sale at various places for $80 around November and December. A couple things I like that it has over the Sonic Port are physical gain and volume controls on the unit.

If I were to do it again, I probably would have stepped up to a more traditional audio interface that also has at least 2 inputs and MIDI so I can record stereo audio and MIDI at the same time from drums/keyboards/etc, even if that meant having to use a powered USB hub. However, for guitar only, all the current small, single-input interfaces should work fine.

I can't comment as to whether any of these things work with the latest iPad Pros but I'd be shocked if they didn't. I have the 10.5" iPad Pro and I use my iRig HD 2 with it's USB cable and connect it with the camera connection kit (so I can charge my iPad at the same time) and it works fine that way. Again, I'd be shocked if it didn't work with the latest iPad Pro and USB-C.

Another slightly annoying thing about these small, portable interfaces is they don't sit well on a desk. I wound up securing it to my iPad stand with velcro so it would stay put and I could keep the cables nice and tidy. The portability of it is obviously great when you want to use it on the go but I tend to only use mine at my desk.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
You might want to also consider the iRig HD 2 (not the original iRig that plugged into the headphone port). I've been using it for a few months and am really happy with it. It's around the same price as the Sonic Port but it was on sale at various places for $80 around November and December. A couple things I like that it has over the Sonic Port are physical gain and volume controls on the unit.

If I were to do it again, I probably would have stepped up to a more traditional audio interface that also has at least 2 inputs and MIDI so I can record stereo audio and MIDI at the same time from drums/keyboards/etc, even if that meant having to use a powered USB hub. However, for guitar only, all the current small, single-input interfaces should work fine.

I can't comment as to whether any of these things work with the latest iPad Pros but I'd be shocked if they didn't. I have the 10.5" iPad Pro and I use my iRig HD 2 with it's USB cable and connect it with the camera connection kit (so I can charge my iPad at the same time) and it works fine that way. Again, I'd be shocked if it didn't work with the latest iPad Pro and USB-C.

Another slightly annoying thing about these small, portable interfaces is they don't sit well on a desk. I wound up securing it to my iPad stand with velcro so it would stay put and I could keep the cables nice and tidy. The portability of it is obviously great when you want to use it on the go but I tend to only use mine at my desk.

Thanks! I’ll consider that. Just looked on Amazon and yes it’s about the same price. I do like the idea of having volume control on the unit.

jammybastard

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
In Trasnic
I’m using the new Apogee Jam +.
Comes with USB-C cable to plug the interface directly into the iPad Pro.
Works great.

upload_2019-1-3_18-44-18.jpeg

https://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam

Reactions: mjschabow

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
..on a related note, any info on if/how people are connecting midi keyboards to the new iPad pro?
I've just ordered a USB c hub and hope to hook one up through that...

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
If your keyboard has a USB interface, you might be able to get away with using that directly; I'd try that first. I recently got a Yamaha MD-BT01 (bluetooth midi adapter) since my piano (Yamaha P200) only has MIDI ports and it's worked well so far.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018

I realise this thread is fairly old but I have just purchased the iRig HD 2 and I have one problem. After recording my guitar, I cannot hear the replay of that recording unless I disconnect the iRig from the lightning port. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Thanks for any insight you could give on this.

jammybastard

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
In Trasnic
I realise this thread is fairly old but I have just purchased the iRig HD 2 and I have one problem. After recording my guitar, I cannot hear the replay of that recording unless I disconnect the iRig from the lightning port. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Thanks for any insight you could give on this.

Garageband? Make sure your monitoring in correct, everything turned on to that needs to be in GB.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
I should have been clearer with my question. I am using Garageband. I have the monitor switch set to on in Garageband. I can use headphones to hear the replay of the recording. I am plugging my headphones into the iRig. I just wasn't sure as to why the main iPad speakers have been muted, or is this how it's meant to be? What other settings might I be missing?

jammybastard

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
In Trasnic
I should have been clearer with my question. I am using Garageband. I have the monitor switch set to on in Garageband. I can use headphones to hear the replay of the recording. I am plugging my headphones into the iRig. I just wasn't sure as to why the main iPad speakers have been muted, or is this how it's meant to be? What other settings might I be missing?

yes, thats the way it’s supposed to be. it eliminates feedback. consider if you were recording an acoustic or a vocal? would you want the speakers on? nope. it’s a one size fits all solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.