Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Working with a small group to develop a app on Mac OS, right now we are thinking of testing applications on Mac Minis? Yay or Nay? is there a better alternative readily available for testing?

We are looking to do this fairly professionally (startup fingers crossed), do professional app developers generally test their applications on Mac Minis/Pros on premise or is it commonplace to use mac hosting providers (of the handful that exist)?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Aren't you going to test on your development machine?
Right?!
[doublepost=1496889587][/doublepost]
Working with a small group to develop a app on Mac OS, right now we are thinking of testing applications on Mac Minis? Yay or Nay? is there a better alternative readily available for testing?

We are looking to do this fairly professionally (startup fingers crossed), do professional app developers generally test their applications on Mac Minis/Pros on premise or is it commonplace to use mac hosting providers (of the handful that exist)?
What are you building the application on? I build applications for the Mac OS using electron.atom.io
I test on my go to build machine: MBP15(2016) and test on iMac27 and MacMini

Reactions: jaduff46

Graham Perks

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2003
Austin, TX
Are you asking about which machine to test on, or which for development? For development I'd ask for a more up to date spec than the mini has; though the minis are excellent.

Reactions: Krevnik

Qot

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2016
I'm developing on Late 2012 i7 model for many years. Everything is smooth but it was a bit slow to start Xcode or simulator or other heavy apps. Then my HDD died, so I installed SSD instead and now it's great.

Still it's better to wait at least until autumn – I bet new ones are coming together with a new Pro.

rich1812

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
earth
I develop on a late 2012 i7 mini with 16G Ram and a 500 G SSD. This is a little power house, perfectly for any iOS dev. :)

Suspended
May 28, 2017
I developed for many years (at work) on a powerful Mac Pro, and it was boss !

I thought that Mac Mini is like the base model or Honda Civic of Macs - cheapest (least powerful) machine that gives you "Mac" bragging rights :D

Last edited:

Suspended
May 28, 2017
Maybe but why spend more if the cheapest does everything well?

Agreed. I just personally wouldn't use/recommend it for software development. I'm sure it's just fine for the average user.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I generally recommend developers test on their development machines. There's no harm there.

Then for actual user testing, get a group of users with a range of the devices you are seeking to hit with your product and distribute release candidate builds (RC) to them. Then have them do the testing as their systems will be more likely close to end user environments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.