Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
What is the best mac software for converting HD video to iPad 720p video? I've seen numerous options online, most are about $30 or so.

Thanks in advance!

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I think Handbrake is supposed to be able to do this.

I used to use VisualHub (well, I still do), but they went out of business.

gazzrenn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Blackpool, UK
Handbrake.

I converted 7 episodes of Lost which were 720p MKV files by using the Apple Universal Preset. It took a while to do one on my Mini if i'm honest, but I set a batch off just as I went to bed so it was all done in the morning.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Handbrake.

I converted 7 episodes of Lost which were 720p MKV files by using the Apple Universal Preset. It took a while to do one on my Mini if i'm honest, but I set a batch off just as I went to bed so it was all done in the morning.

Does handbrake convert the video to 720p? If so, how is the video quality on iPad after conversion?

gazzrenn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Blackpool, UK
Gotta be honest, I didnt check the details of the resultant file, just sync'd them over and left the house!

This is a screenshot from my iPad while playing an episode... its not scientific i know, but its all I can manage at the moment. Can check the file details this evening if you like.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Does anyone have directions for encoding HD video from a camcorder to an ipad using handbrake? I could not find any instructions. I'm using the direct AVCHD source from my canon camcorders hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.