Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I’ve been using Creative Labs wireless earbuds for a couple of years now, but the sound quality gradually deteriorates with use until I clean the filters. I’ve been considering a pair of over-the-ear wired headphones because I listen to music while I work and don’t need wireless capability. Also, I’m interested in getting better sound quality, and something I don't need to clean periodically for optimum sound quality.

Considering these options, but also open to recommendations:

Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone​

Monolith M565C Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones​

bwayne

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2021
Hi, I’m always on the search for the next headphones too but it’s never really ended in 45 years ha ha. What kind are you looking for? For example you stated listening to Lossless is your intention, but do you intend to connect directly to your computer, or iPhone, or will you use an external DAC and amplifier? what kind of budget? Is your listening environment sensitive to sound escaping from the headphones where it bothers other people?

Reactions: Jpoon

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
AKG240Ms were studio mastering standards for decades. Not a bad place to start.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Between those two I’d go for the Sonys, I’ve used them at work and they are comfortable enough. Pretty much any ear buds / in ear buds are going to need cleaning periodically… darn ear wax. A lot of pricier pairs of in ear monitors (IEMs) will come with cleaning solutions.

I‘ve been considering getting some Sennheiser HD 650 to replace some aging HD 595 I got on Amazon over a decade ago. If you’re in that general price bracket, these aren’t bad either: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/studio-headphones-noise-reducing-hd-200-pro pretty comfy.

riggles

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2013
The Drop x Sennheiser HD 6XX are the best buy for the money in my opinion. Listening to Hi-Res Lossless in Apple Music right now with them :)

Reactions: Jpoon

ntlman

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2005
Status Audio CB-1s have a warm, flat tuning and are under $100. I've been using a pair for 4.5 yrs now and they're still in great shape. They're great for casual listening and studio work. Also, earcups can be replaced with other compatible brands. You can also use a headphone cable w/mic paired with them as well for gaming or calls.

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
Isn't Apples pod pro max (not sure about then name) made with this in mind? I'm considering those as well just for the lossless experience.

• Sad
Reactions: Jemani

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I’ve been using Creative Labs wireless earbuds for a couple of years now, but the sound quality gradually deteriorates with use until I clean the filters. I’ve been considering a pair of over-the-ear wired headphones because I listen to music while I work and don’t need wireless capability. Also, I’m interested in getting better sound quality, and something I don't need to clean periodically for optimum sound quality.

Considering these options, but also open to recommendations:

Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone​

Monolith M565C Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones​

If you can use open headphones then the AKG240 is a "standard" and can not be beaten. They sell now for under $100.

But the "open" kind leaks audio in both directions, you can hear room noise and others near you can hear the sound. The primary use of K240 was by recording engineers in the studio. Musicians need closed-back headphones so the sound does not bleed into the microphone.

Stay away from the consumer "audiophile" stuff. It is grossly overpriced. The ones prefered in the industry are preferred for a reason.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Headphones are always going to be an analog process. They’re the end of the audio chain. It’s true that they had excellent headphones in the 1980s, 1970s as well. That’s why a few of us keep recommending the AKG 240m’s, they’re basically unchanged since the late 1980s.

The thing about analog is that the quality of the device makes a huge difference in the sound it reproduces. A CD on a midrange player through good headphones sounds “better” and more transparent than 80 percent of turntables that were in use. When you spent a bit more on high end cartridges, quality amps, and great speakers, a recording on vinyl could beat a CD. Most people didn’t do that.

When it comes to headphones, spending your money on a quality driver, and saving money by not buying wireless, makes a huge difference. That’s why my old AKGs can sound better than 500 dollar wireless cans. Find a good set of flat frequency response wired headphones, that’s the best way to hear the benefits of lossless. You might actually be able to tell the difference between aac and 24/96 uncompressed. I can, and I’m old and my hearing sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.