Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jman2468

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Preferably from a brand I can get offline because atm I can't shop online. The most I'm willing to spend is $180, would prefer headphones because earbuds are uncomfortable for me to wear and fall out too easily. :D

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Do you have a brand preference? Personally, I like skullcandy. Everyone complains that they break all the time, but that's because they get the poorly built pairs. I have the Skullcandy Agent headphone, and I love it! My friend has the Skullcandy SK Pro's, and he loves those as well.

Also, it depends on the type of music that you listen to. Obviously, you'll have a little bit of variance with your taste in music, but what do you enjoy listening to the most?

jman2468

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Mostly jazz,ambient and bass heavy music. I dunno about the skullcandies, I hear/read nothing but bad things about them. I was hoping to find some sennheiser headphones offline, but it look like they're only sold online. :(

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Mostly jazz,ambient and bass heavy music. I dunno about the skullcandies, I hear/read nothing but bad things about them. I was hoping to find some sennheiser headphones offline, but it look like they're only sold online. :(

They are available from best buy. All you need to do is go into the store with the name of the product you wish to order. You can buy it in the store, and the headphones will ship to your store in a few days. Is there a particular pair you are thinking of getting? I can look at the technical specs and give you a second opinion if they will be worth it or not.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As I am also in the market at the moment, an browsing, perusing MR, reading reviews, etc. for a good pair of ear-phones (both in-ear and over ear phones), I have been reading the many threads which have been devoted to this topic on these fora and elsewhere.

Almost unanimously, they suggest that Skullcandy should be avoided - that they are overpriced and prone to break.

The recommendations which have been made to me are to stick with the old reliables, above all, Sennheiser and Shure; even those they are relatively expensive, they are well-made, deliver good sound quality, and are comfortable.

Cheers

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
Do you have a brand preference? Personally, I like skullcandy. Everyone complains that they break all the time, but that's because they get the poorly built pairs. I have the Skullcandy Agent headphone, and I love it! My friend has the Skullcandy SK Pro's, and he loves those as well.

Also, it depends on the type of music that you listen to. Obviously, you'll have a little bit of variance with your taste in music, but what do you enjoy listening to the most?
I like Skullcandy's, and that's what I would reccomend. Plus, they have a lifetime warranty for manufacturing faults, and a half-off coupon for accidental faults.

Willie5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
With all due respect to the people that are trying to make recommendations, do not listen to any of them. I agree with go to Best Buy or Apple Store or any place that has demo's available for you to use. Then you can try them out for yourself. Proper sounding headphones is completely in the ears of the beholder. Just go try them out and see what you like best.

Bwslayer

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would have to say skullcandy in ear earphones or the in ear beats by Dre

ukuleleman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

It depends on how much you want to spend, I got these (See Title) last week
Cost in Pounds Sterling £85.00 ($137.00) the sound is phenomenal, I heard bass sounds that I had forgotten existed when I used these phones on my iPod Touch, and I was listening to a recording that I had made myself on my own gear, on top of that the treble and mid range are outstanding.

Get Skull Candy if you care about how you look in the headphones and a quality set such as the Sennheiser or other makes if you care about how your music sounds.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Has anyone any thoughts on ThinkSound products, specifically the "rain" ear-buds? From I have read, they have a good warm sound, are physically attractive, and are constructed on sound ecological principles.

I ordered a pair from a seller via Amazon around a month ago, they never arrived, and (when I wrote to ask what had happened with the delivery) I was offered a refund or a re-order. I chose the latter (as my CC had already been debited). Now today, I have been informed that the re-order has fallen through - apparently the selling no longer stocks them; it seems I'll get a full refund - so I'm not complaining - but I do wonder whether anyone has any experience of them. I had been looking forward to getting a pair of ecologically sound IE earbuds......ah, well. Some other time perhaps.

nyGiants

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2006
I would suggest either the Bower and Wilkins P5 or the Bose in-ear. I have both and they have great sound.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Here's the link to the manufacturer's site. If you want specifically wood headphones, Skullcandy has a model called Holua, and they're wood, and they're cheaper than the ones you wantedd.

http://www.thinksound.com/rain.php

Thanks, Firestar for that link. I'll get in touch with them and see what they have to say for themselves; however, reviews (other than from tech sources, which are positive) such as from ordinary buyers have not been too good with regard to build quality; sound appears to be pretty good.

Re the Skullcandy, there is another thread somewhere else on the forum where a number of posters have argued strongly against Skullcandy.

It is interesting when you trip over names that have become familiar in recent weeks (days) on other threads............

I would suggest either the Bower and Wilkins P5 or the Bose in-ear. I have both and they have great sound.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. Actually, I have Bose in-ear phones and they are very good; I also have a pair of Sennheisers which are pretty good. I have been looking out for a very good set of ear-phones; someone on another thread (there are several about head-phones) suggested Shure, specifically the 535s, and said, that, while they are rather expensive, they are exceptionally good. Any thoughts on any of that?

Once again, thanks to you both,

Cheers

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
Thanks, Firestar for that link. I'll get in touch with them and see what they have to say for themselves; however, reviews (other than from tech sources, which are positive) such as from ordinary buyers have not been too good with regard to build quality; sound appears to be pretty good.

Re the Skullcandy, there is another thread somewhere else on the forum where a number of posters have argued strongly against Skullcandy.

It is interesting when you trip over names that have become familiar in recent weeks (days) on other threads............

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. Actually, I have Bose in-ear phones and they are very good; I also have a pair of Sennheisers which are pretty good. I have been looking out for a very good set of ear-phones; someone on another thread (there are several about head-phones) suggested Shure, specifically the 535s, and said, that, while they are rather expensive, they are exceptionally good. Any thoughts on any of that?

Once again, thanks to you both,

Cheers
Skullcandy is a very widely and variated brand in the case of who like them. I think they're fine, although I'm not an audiophile, so you probably shouldn't consider my suggestions highly.

In regards to the Shure's, they are supposed to be one of the more quality brands (supposedly). I've never owned a pair. Also, you might want to consider Klipsch Image S4's, they have been highly reviewed by a considerable amount of people on this forum, and they have been highly reviewed by cnet.com (electronic website).

Here is the link to their review, if you're interested.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/...-33577358.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1r

Oh, and I think I saw these one time for $50 at Best Buy or somewhere.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks, Firestar, for responding so swiftly. While a friend with whom I worked abroad was the first (over a year ago) to suggest the Shures (and he suggested the 530 - which has since been superceded by the 535 as well as the 420), the Klipsch has never featured on my radar.

However, as you point out, several on these fora have a high opinion of them and have posted accordingly.

Thanks for the link. Ever since the Thinksound sale fell though (twice, as I posted above), I have been a bit lukewarm on the idea of such ecologically advanced buds. I'll check out the link to Klipsch.

Thanks once again,

Cheers

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-XD...BJYA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1311806963&sr=8-4

I have those, they're amazing considering the price. I've not looked back and I've had them for a few years now.

The lead is very long though, so don't purchase this if you want to lug a very very long lead with you.

And they leak slightly, if only Apple made headphones to this standard :(

And Sony are a good make, I guess xD

Cheers

Thanks for this, and for taking the trouble to post the link, too. Much appreciated. I'll look into it.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.