Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
What do you guys think are the best headphones for the touch? Right now I have the ones the touch came with which are the white apple ones. Anyone else know any good ones?

uburoibob

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
The Etymotics are the best in-ear canal headphones. The 6's are good, the 4's are much better.

For over the ear, open-aire, or sealed enclosure supraural, nothing beats Sennheiser's range of headphones. And you don't have to pay a lot of money to get great sound. PX 100s, which are 5-star rated on http://www.headphone.com are only about $50.

The HD650s are absolutely friggin incredible - best dynamic headphones in the world, but they are in the $500 range and you'll need an amp to use them.

Seriously, Sennheiser is best. Grado is darned close. Check the specs. Check the sound. Check the fit. You can't help but come to the same conclusion.:)

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
The Etymotics are the best in-ear canal headphones. The 6's are good, the 4's are much better.

For over the ear, open-aire, or sealed enclosure supraural, nothing beats Sennheiser's range of headphones. And you don't have to pay a lot of money to get great sound. PX 100s, which are 5-star rated on http://www.headphone.com are only about $50.

The HD650s are absolutely friggin incredible - best dynamic headphones in the world, but they are in the $500 range.

Seriously, Sennheiser is best. Grado is darned close. Check the specs. Check the sound. Check the fit. You can't help but come to the same conclusion.:)

do you have the 4's. i have the 6's right now and was curious as to how much better the sound is going to be for the 100$ or so upgrade. i love my 6's but if the 4's sound that much better that is something i am really considering!

buddhahacker

macrumors member
May 6, 2006
Second this recommendation

I purchased the 4p and 6i. The 4's are the best out there but the 6's are pretty respectable and at under $80 they are a steal. I think they are on sale at Amazon. I also have the bluetooth 8's which are great but I believe they will not work on the newest generation iPods since Apple changed the interface :mad: I have to check with Etymotic on this. However, supposedly stereo bluetooth will be available on the newer Intel laptops when 10.5 comes out later this month so I should be able to use them with my laptop.

I have tried several other brands including Bose, Shure and a few cheaper products. Since none of them go into the ear canal you simply don't get the same quality sound. They all sound a bit muffled.

One word of caution, the Etymotic earphones do take a little bit of time to get accustomed to having in your ear canal. I found it took two plane rides or about a week. But after this you are in a happy place. A side benefit is that since they do go into your ear canal you block a many db of sound from your environment. This is what has saved me on my week plan trips.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
so would you say that it would be worth the update to the 4's from the 6's? i really want to but i need to know that the sound is going to be better becuase i like the 6's but think that the 4's could be that much better

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
Many people think I'm crazy but the Zune Premium Headphones are by far the best headphones that I've ever used... and I've went through many different kinds

Vigilante

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2007
Florida.
Sorry if this is a strange post, but I was also thinking about purchasing new earphones... but all the recommended ones look uncomfortable to me. For example:
er6i-blk.jpg

Are those actually more comfortable than they seem? I hope I'm just mistaken, but that looks like an awful lot to be sticking into your ear canal... They don't protrude at all, either, do they?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
thats probably the biggest adapters on that set that they make. i have the er 6i's and they take some getting used to yes, but its not a lot in your ear but with all that in your ear you are able to hear the sound they way it was meant to be heard!!!

uburoibob

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
do you have the 4's. i have the 6's right now and was curious as to how much better the sound is going to be for the 100$ or so upgrade. i love my 6's but if the 4's sound that much better that is something i am really considering!

As a record producer/engineer, I find the 4's to be "reference" quality. You won't get bigger bang, but you will get better imaging, flatter sound, etc. Don't get me wrong - the 6's are GREAT. But the 4's are the schnizzle.:D

buddhahacker

macrumors member
May 6, 2006
Buy the 4's if you have the cash.

so would you say that it would be worth the update to the 4's from the 6's? i really want to but i need to know that the sound is going to be better becuase i like the 6's but think that the 4's could be that much better

Yes, the 4's are that much better. Your upper range is much better. If placed in your ear correctly they are reference quality earphones. I also have a pair of vmode that are okay but the 6's are better and only cost $10 more. Both of these have a bias towards the bass side of the sound.

To answer someone else's question, the Etymotic earphones do go into the ear canal further than the Shure, Sony or Vmode styles. These later styles are easier on your ear but after wearing the Etymotics for a few hours you get used to it. Also, by being further in your ear canal you will get better bass.

mike1123

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007

The HD650s are absolutely friggin incredible - best dynamic headphones in the world, but they are in the $500 range and you'll need an amp to use them.

The Etymotics have varied opinions attached to them. I personally love my Shure E4C's.

buddhahacker

macrumors member
May 6, 2006
Got them working with touch but not Leopard

I purchased the 4p and 6i. The 4's are the best out there but the 6's are pretty respectable and at under $80 they are a steal. I think they are on sale at Amazon. I also have the bluetooth 8's which are great but I believe they will not work on the newest generation iPods since Apple changed the interface :mad: I have to check with Etymotic on this. However, supposedly stereo bluetooth will be available on the newer Intel laptops when 10.5 comes out later this month so I should be able to use them with my laptop.

I have tried several other brands including Bose, Shure and a few cheaper products. Since none of them go into the ear canal you simply don't get the same quality sound. They all sound a bit muffled.

One word of caution, the Etymotic earphones do take a little bit of time to get accustomed to having in your ear canal. I found it took two plane rides or about a week. But after this you are in a happy place. A side benefit is that since they do go into your ear canal you block a many db of sound from your environment. This is what has saved me on my week plan trips.

I realized I had a pairing problem which I fixed with the Etymotic adapter and bang the 8's are working with my touch. As I stated previously and confirmed by and Apple "Genius" Leopard is supposed to support stereo headphones. I tried it and Leopard discovered the bluetooth stereo headphones, paired with them but refuses to connect.:mad:

Warped1

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2005
I have been very satisfied with my purchase of the Philips SHL9500 at amazon for $21. They are a steal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.