Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bimmerboyshawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2016
I just bought a A1990 MacBook and I want to buy a hub. I'm going to use the hub mostly for Deejaying and my portable HD and charge my phone occasionally. I did some research but it's seems like some of the good brands got bad reviews. So any advice on which one to purchase?

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
By hub, I guess you mean a TB3/USB-C 'dock' like device, with multiple ports on it?

What ports do you need? I guess your portable drive is some variety of USB. Does it have a captive cable (i.e. non removable) or is the cable removable? - Do you need any specific audio in/out ports for your DJ work?

Do you need it to be powered from the laptop, or is mains power always available?

Reactions: velocityg4

bimmerboyshawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2016
By hub, I guess you mean a TB3/USB-C 'dock' like device, with multiple ports on it?

What ports do you need? I guess your portable drive is some variety of USB. Does it have a captive cable (i.e. non removable) or is the cable removable? - Do you need any specific audio in/out ports for your DJ work?

Do you need it to be powered from the laptop, or is mains power always available?
Need at least 3 to 4 USB ports and the camera slots. My portable drive is usb to micro b. And the system has a usb-b (printer cable) to usb. It don’t need to be powered by the laptop but I would like it but it’s not really a big deal. Just want to know so when I’m at a gig my system don’t work right cause the hub.

mroy16

macrumors regular
May 28, 2017
A quick google search for "USB C hub with SD card" turned up a bunch of results. The first hit is from Aukey with 3 USB-A + SD + microSD with 4 stars. Find something on amazon with good reviews and a decent brand reputation, and you'll be fine.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
For the external drive/“system” (I assume you mean something dj/music related) I’d just buy a couple of USB-c to (micro) B cables, if it were me. I’d imagine the audio stuff works best when it’s not sharing the port (in terms of bandwidth/latency).

There’s plenty of card readers either with or without other ports too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.