Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulcross22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Plymouth, UK.
Hi Guys,

New to the forum- I have a 2004 PowerBook G4 17'' which I've owned since 2010. Been a great machine through my A-Levels to do IT coursework & use photoshop for art & design. I've owned other machines but this will always have a special place in my heart :)

Can anyone recommend a good SSD for this Mac? I want something with a decent amount of space, but not liable to break. Or even a good HDD! Is using a 7200rpm drive worth it?

I know how to do upgrades- I've recently just replaced the display after my Dad's dog stepped on the screen, now it works again.

I'm maxing out the RAM tomorrow to 2GB. Can anyone recommend any tweaks I can perform to make the OS faster? I'm using Leopard currently.

Any questions then let me know.

- Paul

paulcross22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Plymouth, UK.
As for the SSD, from my research around this forum it seems like getting an mSATA SSD and a mSATA-IDE adapter is the best and most cost-effective solution.

What's the speed change like on a PowerBook? I want it to be a little more zippy- can you help manage my expectations with this? - Paul
[doublepost=1461016546][/doublepost]
Check out this excellant thread posted by forum member eyoungren, these tips are specific to TenFourFox and do a lot to improve your web experience.
Thank you!! Will sit down with a coffee tomorrow and give it a read through.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
What's the speed change like on a PowerBook? I want it to be a little more zippy- can you help manage my expectations with this? - Paul
I have an OWC IDE Legacy SSD in my 15" PowerBook, and the performance difference-increase is modest but very noticeable, mainly with faster boot times and quicker app opening.

Last edited:

flyrod

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2015
We were just talking about this upgrade for powerbooks:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/hard-drive-for-a-12-pbg4-1-5.1967391/

There have been a few recent threads where people have posted their benchmark results before/after installing a SSD. I have one in my powerbook and I think it would make a noticeable improvement for you. You said "I want it to be a little more zippy" and I'd say a SSD fits that bill nicely. In some cases they're less expensive too. Good luck!

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I've installed a 64 GB SSD in my Powerbook G4 12", it was expensive at a 90 EUR cost but the response times
are way better although still limited by the the IDE bus .

Super Talent Technology SSD 64GB 120/130 Dura ET3 MLC IDE STL SSD I FE8064MD2D

Random times are better, so indeed it's a lot snappier, data transfers go a bit faster ( not much compared to a HDD ),
but what bit the bullet for me was that the Powerbook runs quiet , a lot cooler and battery life lasts longer.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

SecretSquirrel

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
U.K.
Hi Guys,

New to the forum- I have a 2004 PowerBook G4 17'' which I've owned since 2010. Been a great machine through my A-Levels to do IT coursework & use photoshop for art & design. I've owned other machines but this will always have a special place in my heart :)

Can anyone recommend a good SSD for this Mac? I want something with a decent amount of space, but not liable to break. Or even a good HDD! Is using a 7200rpm drive worth it?

I know how to do upgrades- I've recently just replaced the display after my Dad's dog stepped on the screen, now it works again.

I'm maxing out the RAM tomorrow to 2GB. Can anyone recommend any tweaks I can perform to make the OS faster? I'm using Leopard currently.

Any questions then let me know.

- Paul
If you're moving from a 5600rpm drive you'll definitely enjoy a speed bump and a better overall experience with an SSD. As it's a 17", although the mSATA does run hot, you won't notice it and you'll love the silence which goes with the SSD. Just for reference, I downgraded my 12" to a 7200 drive and there wasn't much difference in performance but the mSATA option will allow much greater capacities and easier availability. As well as the tweaks mentioned above, look at Xslimmer and Monolingual to strip out unnecessary stuff and squeeze out all the potential of your fantastic machine. Enjoy!

Reactions: paulcross22

paulcross22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Plymouth, UK.
Thanks guys -

Will most likely get a SSD, will probably get a 64GB one and just do a clean install of Mac OSX.

Seriously not ready to give this machine up. Especially since I've just repaired the screen haha.

If push comes to shove, and I do need more space, I'll just take out the disk drive and replace it with another HDD.

This machine is awesome!

paulcross22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Plymouth, UK.
Hi Everyone- actually ended up ordering a 64gb PATA SSD.

Also now just maxed out the RAM to 2gb. One stick didn't work when I first used it - but after cleaning it with some rubbing alcohol and a cotten bud, it's now working.

When I get the SSD installed and do a fresh install I'll start a new thread on my experiences with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.