Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottCFrancis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
The 80 GB drive in my 1.5 GHz 17" PowerBook is about to die.

I'd appreciate any feedback on either or both of these two questions:

1) Which brand/model is most reliable or do you recommend?

2) Is it really worth paying extra for a 7200 RPM drive (versus 5400 RPM)?

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I have the same PowerBook and my drive just died a couple weeks ago... it makes you wonder! ;)

Seriously, though... I installed this as my replacement: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822146052

Startup time is MUCH quicker than before. Launching applications feels snappier and browsing the Finder also feels quicker. The only downsides... it runs a bit warmer and puts off more noise. The noise isn't that noticeable, but you can hear it if there is no ambient noise going on. Not only did I gain much faster read/write speeds, but I also gained 20 GB. :D

It may not seem cheap, but in my opinion it's definitely worth it. I can actually keep my iTunes and iPhoto libraries on my internal, rather than always having to turn to my external just to access them.

Hunts121

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
Massachusetts
I have the seagate momentus 100GB 7200rpm (similar the the travelstar I'd guess), the only reason I got the seagate instead of the travelstar was it was on sale that particular day from newegg. Both are excellent drives. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.