Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
This is a bit of an odd thread for me, but hear me out: iPhone 13 Mini was the perfect phone for me at this time in my life since it was minimalistic and powerful enough to be in the way when I needed it, then tiny and pocketable enough to be out of the way when I didn’t. I simply loved it, and may still be using it if even the higher PWM rate didn’t cause me headaches.

Truth be told I have few issues with the size of iPhone 14 Pro Max, with my main gripe being the feeling that it’s constantly drawing me in a bit too much. Couple that with its penchant for sticking out of the pocket of a 2022 pair of Guess jeans, and I’m torn as to whether this is still the right iPhone for me.

I currently use a third-generation iPhone SE, and it admittedly does have many of the benefits of the Mini-sized iPhones beyond the more modern design. Another potential benefit is that it doesn’t necessarily invite extra time, as in I’m usually solely using it for its intended purpose then putting it back in my pocket.

That brings me to iPhone 14 or iPhone 14 Pro, which both have their advantages. iPhone 14 is probably the most similar in this generation since it’s the smallest and lightest, with the upgrade to the Pro being personal preference for the newer features.

iPhone 13 Mini has made me more intrigued on the idea of a foldable iPhone, as a device with a similar form factor that essentially folds into an iPad could be incredibly useful.

What do we think is the best move from an iPhone 13 Mini this generation?

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
With my computer usage changing and being more consumption than productive work, I can get away with using my phone to do a lot. The idea of a bigger phone is creeping up again.

When I had an 8 Plus, that had to come out when climbing stairs or sitting down hah..

With the 14 launch I've gone into store a few times to tempt my self. Comparing a webpage in reader mode between the mini/14P/14PM, the 14P only had 2 more lines displayed, while the 14PM had another 4 or so. This goes along with how I feel about the 6.1" screen, that it's just scaled up from my mini and not really giving me more real estate to work with.

In saying that, when I move on from the mini I'll just deal with and get use to the PM size. Gaining more battery life and actual real estate to work with. Maybe the 15 series might have a difference in cameras like the 12. While the 6.1" is more manageable, it's crossing the point where I was still comfortable one handed (5.8" X was good), I may as well just get the bigger one.

When/if Apple bring out their version of a flip phone, I'll be willing to give it a go.

Reactions: arkitect

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
Isn't the 14 panel the same as the 13? Wouldn't it give you headaches as well?

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The only real move that i would go on from your iPhone 13 mini is the 14 Pro or Asus Zenphone 9 on the Android side.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I've had a 14pro for the last three days (check out the PWM thread for the report), and while it is a hefty chonker, it will be less heavy than the max, and I'm digging the "normal" size screen (while the Mini is fact scaled down from the 6.1" size screen)

If you want the best updated Apple has to offer: get a 14pro, down from the max weight.
If cameras aren't a concern (no need for telephoto, or Macro), and weight is a concern: 14.

If you're looking for a replacement to the 13mini (small, light, most up to date cameras only one year old but still amazing), you're not going to find it.....

I think the 13mini best bet at an update is the SE line in two years after that stupid XR version hopefully fails miserably....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.