Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Hi all,

So I was just looking for some opinions on the best iPhone 3G compatible alrm clock/radio dock? I've done a lot of googling and I can only seem to find fairly old results. Does anyone know of a site listing the latest and greatest iPhone docks? There are a few on the Apple store I know, but not a great selection, and I swear Apple just puts up the most expensive ones :p

So, based on either personal experience, or what you've seen/read...what would you reccomend?

Thanks,

Luke

monkeybear

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
The main problem with all the docks and the Iphone is the buzzing... I'd wait until they solve that...

jparris1

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
I use the Sony ICFCD3iP CD Clock Radio for iPod and iPhone. I don't get any buzz. It sees properly shielded. If you are using Edge and not 3G it might be worse of course. Really nice clock, dock slides in and pops out, takes universal dock inserts. Only downside is the sound is only so-so if you want to use it as a speaker system. I just use it to charge my iPhone and to wake up so I am very pleased.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICFCD3iP-Clock-iPhone-Silver/dp/B001GNC7RY

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have been looking for the same thing and doing some research on it.

First of all check out iLounge for reviews. Also see this list on shielded speakers.

These are the ones I have been looking at:

Logitech Pure-Fi Express Plus

Logitech Pure-Fi Anytime

Sony's ICF-C1IPMK2

iHome iP99

iHome iP9 which comes in black and silver.

ExtremeMac Luna X2

Now, supposedly the Logitech Express Plus, both iHomes, and the Sony offer iPhone shielding, though I am not sure on the Logitech Anytime.

For me I want something that does three things:

1. Shields iPhone interference, though my Phone is always in 3G and I don't listen to the radio so that really shouldn't be a problem.

2. Can wake to a playlist or the current playlist or whatever from my iPhone. That is the whole point.

3. Charges the iPhone while docked.

If you get anywhere with your research too, let us know.

Anyone who owns any of these, let us know what you think and how well they work.

Thanks.

colflagg

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
I own the IP9 (silver). I think this product is fantastic. :D

It charges my iPhone 3G without forcing the phone into airplane mode. I have not noticed any interference with the speakers.

It has 2 alarms that can be set independent of each other. Each alarm can be set to go off either every day (7 day alarm), every week day (5 day alarm), or only on weekends (2 day alarm). Each alarm has 4 settings, Ipod, Playlist (plays iHome specific playlist), radio, and buzzer.

It has a sleep timer for listening as you fall asleep.

The only drawback is the remote is not the best, but since I mainly use it for an alarm clock, this is not a real issue for me.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I own the IP9 (silver). I think this product is fantastic. :D

It charges my iPhone 3G without forcing the phone into airplane mode. I have not noticed any interference with the speakers.

It has 2 alarms that can be set independent of each other. Each alarm can be set to go off either every day (7 day alarm), every week day (5 day alarm), or only on weekends (2 day alarm). Each alarm has 4 settings, Ipod, Playlist (plays iHome specific playlist), radio, and buzzer.

It has a sleep timer for listening as you fall asleep.

The only drawback is the remote is not the best, but since I mainly use it for an alarm clock, this is not a real issue for me.

I have a Bose that I would use more for music. This is just to use as an alarm clock. But I currently use my iPhone Alarm Clocks with various ringtones and thought it would be nice to wake to a playlist or something. Do the iHomes allow you to wake to the playlist on shuffle or does it always start with the first song. Just that you don't often listen to more than 2 or 3 songs maybe and to always hear the same one first would be a pain, especially if I have to resync my phone before I can change what songs are in the playlist.

Thanks. I think I might go for the newer model just because I liked the look of it a bit better.

JokerNut

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
I have the iHome P99 and have been very happy with it.
It did do the buzz buzz network sound once when I was listening to the radio and my iPhone was docked when I received a phone call. Haven't herd the buzz sound since then. The remote is also a big plus too, it does take a little time to get used to where the buttons are located on it.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have the iHome P99 and have been very happy with it.
It did do the buzz buzz network sound once when I was listening to the radio and my iPhone was docked when I received a phone call. Haven't herd the buzz sound since then. The remote is also a big plus too, it does take a little time to get used to where the buttons are located on it.

How is it for waking from a playlist. Can you shuffle the playlist or does it always start from the same song on that playlist? That is really the one big question I had left, then I think that's the one I would pull the trigger on.

colflagg

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
I think it randomizes the playlist, because I wake up to a different song every day and they play in a different order. I did not have to do anything special on the IP9 for this to happen, just the way the dock works, i guess.

bluesTank

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
If you put it in airplane mode, does it log all your emails and phone calls for when you take it off?

JokerNut

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
roland.g -- I can't comment on the playlist as of yet. Getting that working is in my ToDo list, but not at the top right now. I'll try and get to it soon though. I do know that you have to create a playlist with a specific name so the P99 can find it.

bluesTank -- In airplane mode it will shut the phone part of the iPhone off as well as the network. I'm guessing here, but when you turn airplane mode off you will be able to check email and get all email you have not received yet and probably same for VM. As far as calls logged, I would probably guess no.
However, when I get that message I just click on the NO button. It will still work and you will have full phone functionality. I

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.