Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm looking for a good RSS feed reader for the Mac. I haven't used RSS feeds in a long time, so I'm not sure what feed readers are considered the best.

Any help is appreciated.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I also use Vienna, just because it feels like a pretty native Mac app and has some decent smart folder support.

Reactions: Shazaam!

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
so I'm not sure what feed readers are considered the best.
We all have our own favourites - all those suggested are good. You are just going to have to try some. I went through that some years go and have been happy with my final decision. Much depends on what features you consider most important.

zkmusa

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Dallas, TX
I like Reeder. Very polished and easy to use app that looks good too.

I second that. Reeder has been my go-to app for RSS on the Mac and iOS for many years. It has a very nice design, very easy to use with just keyboard shortcuts, and syncs with many services (including the self-hosted FreshRSS or iCloud).

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I have used Vienna for may years, and love the guys behind it, but the last year I have used NetNewsWire instead. It has much more active development, more modern interface, support for Reddit and Twitter, and there is both iOS and Mac apps. Highly recommended. That being said, if RSS is your only thing, and you only want a Mac client, Vienna will get you there also.

I sync feeds through Bazqux.com.

Reactions: bwintx

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I second that. Reeder has been my go-to app for RSS on the Mac and iOS for many years. It has a very nice design, very easy to use with just keyboard shortcuts, and syncs with many services (including the self-hosted FreshRSS or iCloud).
Especially happy with iCloud syncing support.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I like Reeder. Very polished and easy to use app that looks good too.
I've tried Reeder and was okay with it, but the dev. is a bit disconnected. Good luck ever getting him to acknowledge, much less resolve bug reports. If you look at his reviews, this is a common complaint.

Fuga

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
I use Inoreader for my source and their webpage UI is very good. Still, I prefer a dedicated app, one that has a built-in browser capabilities (so no NetNewsWire). Of Readkit, News Explorer and others I find Reeder the best - love all the gesture abilities. I keep trying Vienna as it's the best successor to the venerable NetNewsWatcher - able to have many tabs open whereas Reeder, et.al. can only do a page at a time. But it does not take Vienna to start gobbling RAM. I always seem to return to Reeder.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Not using a standalone reader app, but I use the webapp over at https://www.newsblur.com/

This one of very few subscriptions I actually pay for, the mid tier, to unlock more features.

(Though after a price hike earlier this year, from $12/year to $36/year, I'm beginning to wonder if I'd make do with the free tier, after all. Edit: Seems I might keep my old pricing, and if so I don't mind paying.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.