Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hyde244

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Hey there guys,

I have been at college for just under 2 quarters now and my MacBook has taken a good deal of wear, already having the top screen casing bowing a bit.

So, in an effort to ensure that this laptop makes it through college with me, I'm trying to look into good MacBook casings.

So does anyone have suggestions with MacBook casing?

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I would recommend the Incase Hardshell.

black1.jpg

I'll probably get one as soon as they are available in UK Apple Stores.

kerotab

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
California
I got my hardshell case on ebay and works great on my macbook. I don't know what brand it is but it's a lot cheaper than buying it anywhere else

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I second the Incase Hardshell. I just installed it and it fits perfectly, has a great feel to it, looks great.

Hyde244

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
is a case even worth it? i mean how much better is it than a sleeve if you are careful with it?
Well, the problem with a sleeve is it is one more thing to unzip and unpack.

I have a laptop backpack which the MacBook travels in every day, and am simply looking for something which can withstand the wear and tear of everyday usage while carrying it around campus.

Frankly, I cannot guarantee I will always be careful with it, as I am on the go a lot.

This is why the hardshell looks the best as it is always protecting, very durable, and easy to use.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
How much thicker does the Incase hardshell make the computer?

Is is amazing how well this fits the Macbook. It adds very little thickness. The cutouts are perfect for the Adapater, USB, etc...

Here is a thread on the case, with pics of it on my Blackbook. With the case on, I can still get it into my Incase Neoprene Sleeve. It is a tight fit, but it does go in.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/446097/

cthomet

macrumors regular
Well, the problem with a sleeve is it is one more thing to unzip and unpack.

I have a laptop backpack which the MacBook travels in every day, and am simply looking for something which can withstand the wear and tear of everyday usage while carrying it around campus.

Frankly, I cannot guarantee I will always be careful with it, as I am on the go a lot.

This is why the hardshell looks the best as it is always protecting, very durable, and easy to use.

ya i guess the hardshell would protect against scratches and such, and if you had a sleeve that could help protect against the minor bumps of carrying it around in a backpack

mhweiler

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
incase hardshell

Just snapped mine on. Looks and works great! You can barely tell its there.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Looks Nice

Hmmm. I might get that... Snapping that on to my MacBook and slapping it in my carrying case should cut it for protection. If only there was a way to stop thieves, too.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Does dust, etc.. get trapped in the case. Could it scratch the MacBook?

I am getting interested in this as well.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
How does it affect the maximum screen recline angle? That's my only worry.

It doesn't affect it at all. I was concerned also until I tried it out in the store. Here is mine from the side open.

Attachments

• IC6.jpg
    IC6.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 155

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Does dust, etc.. get trapped in the case. Could it scratch the MacBook?

I am getting interested in this as well.

The case fits VERY snug, I can't imagine anything getting into, and under the case. The only place where there is any opening is where the vent holes are on the bottom.

Attachments

• IC2.jpg
    IC2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 94

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I'm very close to buying a black Incase for my white Macbook. I think it would look like this:

...but slightly thicker.

You would be amazed on how little it adds to the thickness. I think the Black case on the White Macbook would look great. And, you can still see the Apple Logo with the case on.

Attachments

• IC5.jpg
    IC5.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 111

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Hey there guys,

I have been at college for just under 2 quarters now and my MacBook has taken a good deal of wear, already having the top screen casing bowing a bit.

So, in an effort to ensure that this laptop makes it through college with me, I'm trying to look into good MacBook casings.

So does anyone have suggestions with MacBook casing?

I am using a Case-Mate leather case in Sienna Red Cobblestone Italian leather for my Mac Book.I have a Case-Mate Case for my i-Touch as well. Totally protects my MB, and looks awesome doing it. I highly recommend Case-Mate:apple:

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Any suggestion for a case in the UK as I can't find that case anywhere

I would recommend waiting for a couple of weeks. I'm sure it will definitely be on sale in UK Apple stores before the end of the month. Well I hope so, as I am waiting to buy one too. :)

I just sent them an email to ask about UK availability, so when they reply I will re-edit this post with the details.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
Very nice. I guess I'll need to set some money aside and order one of these. I'm always paranoid about my Macbook and I'm not all that sure about the cheaper plastic cases on ebay.

Thanks!

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
It doesn't affect it at all. I was concerned also until I tried it out in the store. Here is mine from the side open.

I just want to mention this: I just got my hardshell case today for my black macbook and put it on. I also have a white macbook to compare it to. Although you can tilt the screen past 90 degrees, it does not go to its full reclining angle. I was fiddling with the bottom case for 30 minutes trying to slide it under the hooks of the vent properly. I took it on and off about 7 times. After I finally figured that I had it installed correctly I took a protractor and measured it up against the white macbook. This is what I found about how far the screen reclines:

White Macbook (no hardshell case) ~ 142 degrees
Black Macbook (with hardshel case) ~ 138 degrees

Although its only 4 degrees, it is a noticeable difference when comparing it to another machine. The macbook is still very well usable with the hardshell case on and you will only miss the 4 degrees of incline when you are using the macbook on the ground in front of you or in similar positions. Your viewing angle will not be hindered if you are using the macbook on a desk or on your lap.

Just a side note, I have the invisible shield installed on the white macbook and tried installing the incase hardshell case but the bottom case didn't seem to fit right, although it did fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.