Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexicaller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Hi, can anyone advise me on which macOS to use for clean install on my oldy MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 (2.0GHz, i7, 4GB RAM)?

On some sites it becomes a bit blurry as they say "This system fully supports the last version of [...] OS X 10.11 El Capitan", but also that "This model is compatible with the final version of [...] macOS Catalina (10.15)". So, it *fully supports* and is *compatible* makes me a bit nervous. Should I stick with El Capitan? Or go max with Catalina?

Thanks!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'd run Catalina. That way you still will have about two years of security updates. El Capitan is too old and software support is dropping off.

You could do High Sierra. Security updates have stopped but software support is still good. But I never noticed a performance difference between High Sierra and Catalina on a 2009 iMac or 2010 Macbook Pro using a patched version of Catalina.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hi, can anyone advise me on which macOS to use for clean install on my oldy MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 (2.0GHz, i7, 4GB RAM)?

On some sites it becomes a bit blurry as they say "This system fully supports the last version of [...] OS X 10.11 El Capitan", but also that "This model is compatible with the final version of [...] macOS Catalina (10.15)". So, it *fully supports* and is *compatible* makes me a bit nervous. Should I stick with El Capitan? Or go max with Catalina?

Thanks!
I have a mid 2012 15 MBP. I run Sierra on it mostly for software compatibility reasons. I am retired and have a legal copy FileMakerPro 11 which runs on Sierra but not on High Sierra. I have some other older software installed that might break if I move up. I can't justify subscription for occasional usage of some of the software plus I do not need the upgrades. I plan to move up to MX MBP later this year and will deal with the software then.

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
Mojave.
1) I've found the Penultimate supported OS usually works best.
2) I don't think +1 year of security updates on Catalina is worth loosing 32-bit app support.
3) You only have 4GB Ram.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I have almost the same machine. It did have High sierra on it and then I installed Catalina. Probably regret it although it literally has no 3rd party software installed. I only use it as a secondary laptop so my beloved 15" doesn't get thrown into a laptop bag every time I go out.
Catalina was probably too much for it as even Safari with 10 tabs slows it down far more than it did with high sierra.

I'd echo padams35, Mojave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.